Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default WWYD? School dress code issue

So my DD1 is a senior and has been wearing a required plaid uniform skirt all year that apparently is now too short (probably 3”-4” above her knees….it was truly as long as the photo when she got it) and she is not alone. This week the school female security guard said something about it on Monday and then yesterday and then yesterday the same guard was walking around the lunch area with a ruler. Dd1 got a warning. Today she wore a khaki skirt which is slightly longer and she told me that the school was in front measuring skirts this morning. I am thinking of talking to the assistant principal who handles the dress code because this is a very new issue and has never been brought up before. She has worn the skirt multiple times for mass and prior this week no one has said anything to her. She said that she maybe has to wear the plaid skirt three or four more times for mass so I really don’t want to spend another $55 (including having it hemmed because the skirt is way too long and will need to be hemmed) on a skirt to get her through the rest of the year when this has been a non issue all year.

WWYD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-06-2024 at 12:55 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Did you double check the school handbook? It is probably in there and they just decided to enforce it

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Double check your handbook. Not sure our situation will help but maybe it will if you approach the administration -

DD can also wear a plaid or khaki uniform skirt. The guidelines were 1 inch above the knee for years but just officially changed to mid-thigh. It changed because parents voiced that kids grow, bodies vary and tall girls have longer legs. Now, if the girls show that their skirts are not rolled at the waistband, no dress code violation. It's not perfect but maybe you can suggest it as a determining factor. My DD is in 7th at a K-8th school and I don't want to even buy new uniforms at this point so I definitely wouldn't if I were you! Of course DD and friends have figured out a loophole in the system - DD is squeezing into her OLD skirts because they are shorter without the waistband rolled.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Is she allowed to wear pants? My DD is at a private Catholic school and refuses to wear the skirt. We buy her khaki pants like the boys wear and it's fine. Plus, the pants are cheaper. My other suggestion is to ask around and see if anyone has a bigger size that their daughter grew out of.

Default WWYD? School dress code issue

Yes I just checked the handbook. It says no more than 3” above the knee. It has never been enforced. The shorts situation for the girls this past end of summer/fall was close to being Daisy Duke length and there was no reminder about the dress code then. The only reminders have been regarding outerwear and that track pants aren’t supposed to be worn (although DD1 said one of the guys was wearing them yesterday). Again like I said if this had happened at the beginning of the school year I would’ve been okay with it and I would’ve bought another skirt but like I said for a handful of required plaid skirt days they have left this year this is kind of pain.

She has worn a mix of pants (either Levi’s khaki jeans or she bought these this year from Brixton) and skirts since in person started in March of her freshman year and her skirts have essentially been the same length.

Dd1 thinks they are being strict about it because it is also WASC accreditation week.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-06-2024 at 01:36 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You've probably already thought of this, so if so, ignore me!

You mention that the new skirt would need to be hemmed. Was the current one? And if so, is there any extra fabric so that it could be let out?
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Depends on how much time you want to invest. The easiest option would be to have her wear something that is within dress code. My DS2 is sensitive to fabrics. The usual khaki pants boys wear bother him quite a bit meaning he’s focused on his clothes instead of learning. I would go to school to meet with the principal if his athletic pants came in to question. I would think if she only has to wear it a few more times I would roll the dice and have her wear it only when required.
    Last edited by jgenie; 03-06-2024 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    You've probably already thought of this, so if so, ignore me!

You mention that the new skirt would need to be hemmed. Was the current one? And if so, is there any extra fabric so that it could be let out?
    Yes the skirts were all hemmed after we bought them so that is potentially an option but I am not sure how much more can be let out the extra hem fabric is about 2” at the most. We will go to the tailor and see what she can do.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Any alum that you can borrow some from?

I wonder if the school has a closet of outgrown uniform items that they could give her a longer skirt out of. In my experience families donate these outgrown items and then for the most part people don’t ask for them. I think it’s fine to say that buying a skirt for a few wears is outside your budget and do they have a uniform closet. Beyond that I think you have to follow the rules, even if they weren’t enforced previously. I’ve always imagined what a nightmare it must be to have to call kids out on the uniform issues. DD had to wear a uniform for 7th and 8th and skirts/shorts were supposed to be at least fingertip length but it was really poorly enforced. DD often wore khaki jeggings which also weren’t allowed but there were only rumblings of those aren’t really allowed at the end of her 8th grade year and I was glad she never got dress coded for it. The enforcement is often not even on rules and it sucks.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast