Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default WWYD? School dress code issue

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Any alum that you can borrow some from?
    Nope the plaid skirt that is really the issue was just required this year for mass but DD1 says it is really comfortable so she has been wearing it more than her khaki ones because she says it fits better. Until this week it has been a non issue.

They can wear black leggings under it which honestly looks awful but has become a trend here in the last month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have that problem happen every couple of years here. Since your dd is a senior if I were you, I’d ripped the hem thread out and let it hang down. I might be ballsy and let it hang down with the unfinished hem showing. If you are uncomfortable doing that, I’d get some badge magic and just fold it up and stick it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0062...sin_image&th=1

You won’t even have to iron it in place like some hem fixers. This stuff just sticks in place. And it’s a strong adhered and can keep sticking after being washed and dried. That should be good enough. Don’t waste your time on a skirt that probably won’t get worn again in a few months.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    They can wear black leggings under it which honestly looks awful but has become a trend here in the last month or so.
    We've played several volleyball games at religious schools in the past 2 weeks and ALL the girls had black leggings on under their uniform skirts.

How many more times does she need to wear the skirt? You said a handful. If it's honestly just a few times I'd just wear the skirt and deal with the infractions! What's going to happen? It's not like they're going to kick her out of school with 8 weeks to go! I went to private catholic school from pretty much all of kindergarten through 12th grade and I think I could get like 3 uniform infractions before having a Saturday detention. I definitely attended Saturday detention before with several of my friends! It was kinda a rite of passage!

Or just let out the hem and don't worry about it. If they're just being strict this one week then things will go back to normal after most likely.

I would not be buying anymore skirts.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I second gently unhemming the hem and using badge magic! It's very easy and would solve the problem most affordably.
    Graduation will be here before you know it!
    K

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Yes the skirts were all hemmed after we bought them so that is potentially an option but I am not sure how much more can be let out the extra hem fabric is about 2” at the most. We will go to the tailor and see what she can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If she only needs to wear it 3 more times...... does it even need to be hemmed? You can rip out the current hem without having to go to a tailor. If you really want a hem, you can use hem tape with an iron.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    If she only needs to wear it 3 more times...... does it even need to be hemmed? You can rip out the current hem without having to go to a tailor. If you really want a hem, you can use hem tape with an iron.

If you use badge magic, you won’t need to iron it to make it stick.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The schools around here get around the skirt length thing by allowing them to wear leggings underneath. Is there anything in your handbook about that? The funniest thing to me is that BY FAR the shortest skirts you see out and about (and I mean barely past the butt cheeks) are the girls from the uber conservative private Christian school. The Catholic school girls look like we used to, like we just rolled out of bed in our uniforms and went to school…because the Catholic schools near me are all single sex private schools.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

This issue is the bane of every parent in a uniform school!!! Seriously these last few months --NOBODY wants to pay for pants or skirts that the kid is not going to be able to wear next year (or the kid is a senior). Can you talk to administration? Can you look at the school uniform closet to see if there is a longer/larger skirt?
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Rumor is that our high school is requiring uniforms next year. No way am I ok with that. My kid is almost done and had plenty of clothes that fit. No desire to pay for uniforms for this last bit of schooling. There’ll be a big uproar if they try and push that through. They tried to lay the groundwork by talking about how “professionals” dress for work. So outdated. Plenty of industries don’t even do business casual even in senior positions. Dh is up pretty far and neither he nor the people above him wear anything but jeans. Obviously industry specific norms differ but it’s behind the times to say that you put on a button down and tie to go to work if you have a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Badge Magic IS easy to use. But also I wouldn't be averse to leaving the hem raw as you only have a few weeks left. I think you have some options (Badge Magic, leaving the hem, wearing leggings) so that is nice! Rules like that are really hard--especially when kids are growing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast