Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Laparoscopic gall bladder removal-what is the next day like

I thought I had posted this a couple of months ago, but cant find it if I did (Dd was supposed to have surgery a couple of months ago, but it ended up being cancelled and rescheduled). Dd is having laparoscopic gall bladder removal surgery in a couple of weeks. I am taking the day of the surgery off, of course. I work at home and only have about 3 clients the next day and they are not right after each other (so basically 3 separate one hour blocks). How about the day after?

Cancel these or not? My hesitation to cancel is that means I dont get paid and I need the money right now...rescheduling isnt working well for some people.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don’t have experience with the surgery but I would think your DD would be ok on her own for those three hour sessions. I would make sure you help set her up with what she might need for that hour just before you get on. Bathroom assistance, computer nearby, remote for tv in hand, snacks and drink nearby.

I realize it isn’t quite the same thing, but DS had a laparoscopic appendectomy a couple of years ago. He would have been totally fine on his own in a situation like that the next day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My BFF had hers out the same way, she's a 55 year old not in the best shape. The next day she was fine, her dad was staying with her, but she was up, on the couch and fine. Your DD should be fine with you nearby.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The next day you are sore, in bed, but ok.
    Eating mild foods, taking it easy.

I think you’ll be ok to keep your clients. I might space them out more, kwim? 2 then one hour break, then the other.
    She will probably be fine watching a movie.
    Last edited by KpbS; 03-07-2024 at 11:33 PM.
    K

Thanks everyone! I guess the thing I would be most worried about would be bathroom assistance, but can normally go a long time without using the bathroom and I am guessing that would be the same?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks everyone! I guess the thing I would be most worried about would be bathroom assistance, but can normally go a long time without using the bathroom and I am guessing that would be the same?
    You could put something on the bed in case she has an emergency.I would think a trip to the bathroom timed just before your calls should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think you should be fine with that schedule. Everyone is a little different, but I had laproscopic gallbladder surgery about 4 years ago (48 yro) and went 5 am black Friday shopping the next day.

Granted I wasn't throwing punches at anyone or driving, but walked about a mile total (I live close to a shopping center). Mine was outpatient, and I was home by 3 pm day of procedure. I didn't even take narcotics except initially in the recovery room.

I'd had laproscopic appendectomy at age 29 that was a total ****show though, and didn't have a bowel movement for 5 days after. If her surgery is rountine and she expects to be sore and takes it easy she'll probably be bored on the couch!

Thanks everyone!
    wallawala, black friday shopping the next day? Wow, I am impressed

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, it’s completely doable at that age. I would obliviously suggest some preemptive attention before those sessions. But post op day one is mostly a chill day. I would set up two areas for her to rest in. She might think she wants to be in bed, be then she might be more comfortable sitting up. So clear out two rest areas and set up things so she can have stuff in reach. Lots of liquids and I really suggest starting on a bowel regimen day 1, especially with any opiate pain medication. Scheduled walking is good. Even just walking one loop around the inside of the house will help with pain and gas. So I would try to walk her 30 minutes before your sessions. It might hurt to get up, but it will feel better than just sitting there for hours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast