Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd View Post
    Congrats to your DD! So cool that she's doing the School of the NY Times
    Thank you! She's over the moon.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNDMom View Post
    Full-time summer employment before junior year was a non-negotiable for us. Still left plenty of time for friends/hobbies/interests. Couldn’t imagine a 16/17 just sitting around all summer or just volunteering on a political campaign. Just my opinion, at that age, they should be paying for optional/social activities and saving money. They should also be able to find potential jobs, apply/interview, and follow-up. Crucial skills. Every store I have been in recently has a help wanted sign. Many times, these summer jobs turn into Saturday/school break jobs during the year.
    The summer spent volunteering for a political campaign has opened countless doors for him, which absolutely impact his future career options. It's too soon to know quite yet, but he's well positioned for a paid position with a national campaign this year as a rising senior. My dad took a similar path and wound as a staffer for Carter campaign and administration. If you're doing the campaign volunteer gig right, you're absolutely not just sitting around. DS went from stuffing envelopes to knocking doors to doing policy briefs all within one summer, and really made a name for himself.

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    The summer spent volunteering for a political campaign has opened countless doors for him, which absolutely impact his future career options. It's too soon to know quite yet, but he's well positioned for a paid position with a national campaign this year as a rising senior. My dad took a similar path and wound as a staffer for Carter campaign and administration. If you're doing the campaign volunteer gig right, you're absolutely not just sitting around. DS went from stuffing envelopes to knocking doors to doing policy briefs all within one summer, and really made a name for himself.
    Can I ask how DS can become a volunteer for a political campaign? I asked our senator's office and they told me they prefer college students. TIA

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can I ask how DS can become a volunteer for a political campaign? I asked our senator's office and they told me they prefer college students. TIA
    Sure! Start looking local. DS1 has volunteered for city commissioners, county commissioners, a state supreme court judge, and last year, he interned for a State Rep (which would have been open to him without the prior experience). This year, he's applying to intern for a US Rep at her regional office.

I will say - I personally pushed for him to start out doing grunt work. He does have political aspirations, and I wanted him to know that it includes stamping envelopes / writing postcards. Don't underestimate the connections made doing that sort of work too. He's moved past that, but still knows that he needs to roll up his sleeves and do that stuff too. I don't know a single candidate who feels they are personally above it.

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Sure! Start looking local. DS1 has volunteered for city commissioners, county commissioners, a state supreme court judge, and last year, he interned for a State Rep (which would have been open to him without the prior experience). This year, he's applying to intern for a US Rep at her regional office.

I will say - I personally pushed for him to start out doing grunt work. He does have political aspirations, and I wanted him to know that it includes stamping envelopes / writing postcards. Don't underestimate the connections made doing that sort of work too. He's moved past that, but still knows that he needs to roll up his sleeves and do that stuff too. I don't know a single candidate who feels they are personally above it.
    Thanks for this info. Kudos to your DS!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Thanks all. I'm struck by the unanimous vote for a summer job. I'll talk to him again about it. His boss reached out to him and he hasn't turned down the pool job yet. He is a quiet and hardworking kid. His experience was that the other kids slacked off, didnt turn up for work etc and he had to do a lot. Also they kept scheduling him for times when we'd told them we're on vacation, had dr appointment etc. They gave him a hard time when he was out sick with Lyme disease. He was planning to just go in to work while sick rather than navigate the miscommunication between his boss and his supervisor for the day

I'll help him look for other jobs/volunteer opportunities as well
    That sounds like a bad job and I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with that again.

Are there any "swim schools" in your area? My neighbor girl teaches at a local swim school and she makes GERAT money and doesn't have to deal with the flakiness of a general local outdoor pool.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Or check the local country clubs, we live in a small city of 150k but there are two park districts, a country club, a pool at State Farm park for their employees another private pool owned by Fire and Police, look at other pools. It's such a great job and most places are so desperate they will take what you give them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Or check the local country clubs, we live in a small city of 150k but there are two park districts, a country club, a pool at State Farm park for their employees another private pool owned by Fire and Police, look at other pools. It's such a great job and most places are so desperate they will take what you give them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this. Looks like one of our town organizations that DS volunteers with might have a paid summer job for him. I'm excited because it is a smaller scale operation and the staff already know and appreciate DS. I'm hoping DS will be open to it. He won't even have to interview.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3