Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone's kid take the digital SAT this past Saturday?

DS2 took the SAT for the first time this past Saturday, which was also the first time that it wasn't on paper. He didn't have any problems with the English part, but said the math part was very hard. Much harder than the practice test.

For those not familiar with the digital SAT, depending on how you do on the first part of both the math and English part, you either get an easy or harder second part. If you get the easier second section, then you can no longer score the maximum score of 1600.

DS2 said he most definitely got the hard section of math. He ran out of time and had to guess on some questions. He saw some comments online from other kids who felt the same way.

So wondering if anyone else's kid took it and had similar experiences.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No, but I saw people saying the same thing (on TikTok or reddit maybe?)

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yup. Chaos. DS1 took it the same day and had a similar experience. He made a wild guess on one (not multiple choice) and was stuck on another. He's never been unable to finish a test before, and has been double grade accelerated in math since elementary. He also felt that it was disproportionately harder than the practice tests.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I heard the same thing from fb friends and multiple posts on college forums. Ugh
    K

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD1 hasn't taken the SAT but had a similar experience with the digital PSAT in October.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    DS2 took the SAT for the first time this past Saturday, which was also the first time that it wasn't on paper. He didn't have any problems with the English part, but said the math part was very hard. Much harder than the practice test.

For those not familiar with the digital SAT, depending on how you do on the first part of both the math and English part, you either get an easy or harder second part. If you get the easier second section, then you can no longer score the maximum score of 1600.

DS2 said he most definitely got the hard section of math. He ran out of time and had to guess on some questions. He saw some comments online from other kids who felt the same way.

So wondering if anyone else's kid took it and had similar experiences.
    My twins took the PSAT in the fall and compared their feelings after that test. Same situation. She got the harder section of math and he didn’t.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Yep. DD took it hoping to increase her score enough for a high scholarship at her top pick. She took 3 of the digital practice tests the 10 days before and scored well on them. But she said the math was crazy. I don't know what to expect, but we are crossing our fingers she gets the score she needs...otherwise she can try the ACT in April and hope the score arrive fast enough (May 1 deadline).
    Kris

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS1 took it and said the math was super hard. He said he much preferred the non-digital version that he took last December. I wish they gave the option to take either. I really don't understand how it can be a standardized test if the test takers are given different questions.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Scores came in for the digital SAT and DS1's score is lower than his SAT in the written format, even though he actually did tutoring for this test. He said he much preferred the written format.

DS2 received his score a few weeks ago. His score was on par with what he expected. It was higher than his PSAT score. The only prep he did was 1 practice test. He didn't take the paper version of the SAT so can't compare with that. He will take it again, but I think his score is pretty good already.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast