daisy13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Long Shot- Debate camp at VBI?

Hi all
    this is a long shot. Our 14 year old DD won 2nd place at a major debate tournament this weekend and has earned a 2 week camp with VBI this summer ( Either at LA or SD). Does anyone have any experience with this?

She is very excited and would love to go. This is the first time she will be doing a sleep away camp and we are a little antsy.

TIA!

Anyone ?

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have zero experience (I had to google to find out what VBI was!) -- but big congrats to your DD!
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    I have zero experience (I had to google to find out what VBI was!) -- but big congrats to your DD!
    thank you so much! She joined debate in the fall and has been enjoying herself!

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Congrats to your DD! Debate is my 15 year old's passion. It has been formative in building connection and self esteem. In your shoes I'd let DC do the camp. That said, I'm on the East coast and not familiar with VBI.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Congrats to your DD! I have no experience with the organization and like other posters had to google it. I'd do a little more research and ask around at the school and try to get some recommendations from other parents. But if everything checked out, I'd like her go. I think these experiences are wonderful for kids as long as the organization is reputable and they background check their instructors. Two weeks of full access to my kid makes me uncomfortable unless the instructors are background checked. But my viewpoint is skewed.

My dd auditioned for and was accepted to a 2-week dance program in Connecticut this summer. She is dying to go and I thought it might be good for her as a high school sophomore to get a taste of a bigger school environment (since her high school is tiny). She has had numerous camping experiences with her scout troop at different summer camps so I know the overnight part won't scare her. It's just the question of who will be working with her daily that made me nervous until I did more research.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Congrats to your DD! I have no experience with the organization and like other posters had to google it. I'd do a little more research and ask around at the school and try to get some recommendations from other parents. But if everything checked out, I'd like her go. I think these experiences are wonderful for kids as long as the organization is reputable and they background check their instructors. Two weeks of full access to my kid makes me uncomfortable unless the instructors are background checked. But my viewpoint is skewed.

My dd auditioned for and was accepted to a 2-week dance program in Connecticut this summer. She is dying to go and I thought it might be good for her as a high school sophomore to get a taste of a bigger school environment (since her high school is tiny). She has had numerous camping experiences with her scout troop at different summer camps so I know the overnight part won't scare her. It's just the question of who will be working with her daily that made me nervous until I did more research.
    Thank you for writing out my fears much better than I could. She is only 14 . The good news is , she will go with her debate partner . She does PF debate and she/her partner both were finalists at a major regional tournament . They were both awarded scholarships. Her Debate coach highly recommended the camp and has some connections ( alumni, instructors etc). I will go to settle her and probably stay a day to make sure she is ok..

Thank you. It is quickly becoming my DD's passion too!