LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default College decisions

My son has a few acceptances, and he’s waiting on a couple of deferred schools. And, like most of us, we have no idea what any of these schools will actually cost because of the FAFSA screw up. I’m seriously considering putting down deposits at a couple of the schools soon, and then making the ultimate decision about where he’ll actually attend later on. Are there any negatives to this that I’m not thinking about other than losing deposit money?

One of the reasons I’d like to do this is one school (RIT) has a spectrum support group that you can only apply to once you’ve committed. RIT would be a great fit for him in many ways but he can’t attend if he doesn’t get aid. But if he eventually gets aid, I don’t want to miss the opportunity to be in the support group. I feel like he won’t make the cutoff for the group if we wait for the FAFSA nonsense to be sorted out. So I’m considering putting down deposits at RIT and another school that I know I can afford.
    Last edited by LBW; 03-13-2024 at 09:10 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I feel like the deadline for that support group would be extended. Has been reached out to them about this quandary?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

last year we put money down on one school (with the intention of attending) and then DS1 got off the wait list of a school that he really wanted to go to so he went there. I wrote them a note and that was that I didn't get my money back but other than that no issues.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default College decisions

I am holding out as long as possible. I can’t afford to be placing deposits for housing or attendance deposits for schools she may not attend. I just can’t. Even though we thought we had completed our FAFSA back on January 7th some schools are telling us they don’t have it yet. The application keeps getting sent back to us because there is always something wrong. A few weeks ago it was missing both our signatures; then it was just hers. I just checked this morning and all of her demographic, financial, and school information is missing, which I know was originally in there.

ETA: my FAFSA is finally in review status! It turns out there was an error with the tax filing status that wouldn’t unlock even though we had changed it. I ended up deleting Dd1’s and redoing it and then redoing mine. It was super easy I just wish it would’ve been done sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-13-2024 at 03:37 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Can you reach out to the support staff at RIT and see? Explain that their aligned deadlines isn’t syncing up as im sure you’re not the only family having this dilemma!

Otherwise if you can afford to lose out on those deposits, you might as well since it’s only two schools you’re making the deposits. Would be different story if it’s every school on your list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

The FAFSA delay is wreaking havoc for so many people and schools. What a mess.

I wouldn't hesitate to put down a deposit if that's the only way you can apply to the support group. DS1 put money down at a school this year already but changed his mind. We notified the school and just lost the deposit. I've read that students should only place a deposit to one school at a time. It's okay to decline and deposit elsewhere down the road. I *think* students acknowledge this on the common app but I could be wrong about that.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The FAFSA delay is having a major impact on us as well...ugh, cant wait to have this info so related decisions can be made.

I pretty much agree with what has been said. If you feel okay putting down a deposit that you may lose, I know there are others doing this. You may also want to find out if you/he can talk directly with the people who do the support group and find a way to have a later deposit not held against him (you may also want to check if deadlines have been extended but maybe its just first come, first served), but I can also see why you may just want to pay the deposit, worry less, and cut any relatively small losses.

FWIW, all of the schools ds is interested in have extended deadlines. Although we dont have the support group concern, I know a lot of people are also giving deposits for housing. So far I dont feel the need to do that with ds' schools as there are not housing shortages for first-year students...but in general, less worry for a relatively small amount of money probably makes sense for others.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes