Default What does it mean to have an active Facebook profile

So I got rejected from joining a college parents group because my Facebook profile has to be public and active. It is public but what does it mean to be active? I tried googling with no success.I joined Facebook a few years ago to join private groups. I belong to local parent and community groups. I comment on people’s post and occasionally make posts asking the community for recommendations etc. I am not someone who is going to post a lot about my family or personal life. I use it more for getting information which is exactly why I wanted to join this parents group. I joined DD’s actual class one but was interested in reading the general site to hear info and possibly ask questions of more experienced parents. Is this active classification because I don’t post publicly about myself? If that’s the case then I’m out of luck as I can’t just create that in a short time line.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think that is the dumbest rule and I wouldn't join even if I had those things. Well, I do have an active profile but I have it private so only friends of friends can send me friend requests and any rando will be able to see a few of my posts and pics but only ones I am tagged in that I ok'ed.
    I would imagine active means that you have a profile with stuff on it but I can't see how your social media habits matter to the college parent group. Plenty of people read and never post. They must have had some issue with fake profiles but that just means they should be asking better questions to vet possible members.

Also, remember that some schools have phony parent groups that are actual advertising platforms. Look and see how many members there are and how active the community is.
    Look and see if there is a general parents of school group vs a parents of class of x parent group. Ds1's school has both (as well as dorm communities) and I find value in both the year specific and general group.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I believe because they are trying to keep scammers out of their group, so they might have specific parameters to join?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I interpret "active" as you posted about things regularly. They want to see you are a real person and not a troll or bot.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I do not post on FB and only joined to get access to school/activity groups. One of the school parent pages required that you post publicly about your child's acceptance to join the group. I'm not about to do that, so whatever, we'll just figure stuff our ourselves. The other one has a pretty low bar with some questions to answer - basically enough to keep out bots.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What does it mean to have an active Facebook profile

I have mine set to private because of my work. I don’t want people finding me on social media. I already know they can Google search me and I guess I have to be okay with that but not okay with social media. I had some weird interactions with clients way back when FB was new so I turned off the search feature. My IG is set to public now but it only contains my first name as my user name.

I post to IG and then have it post to FB mostly.

I agree I wouldn’t join that FB group either.

Speaking of FB groups the group for this page isn’t showing up on my group list and I think I joined. PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-14-2024 at 02:36 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmomtobe View Post
    So I got rejected from joining a college parents group because my Facebook profile has to be public and active. It is public but what does it mean to be active? I tried googling with no success.I joined Facebook a few years ago to join private groups. I belong to local parent and community groups. I comment on people’s post and occasionally make posts asking the community for recommendations etc. I am not someone who is going to post a lot about my family or personal life. I use it more for getting information which is exactly why I wanted to join this parents group. I joined DD’s actual class one but was interested in reading the general site to hear info and possibly ask questions of more experienced parents. Is this active classification because I don’t post publicly about myself? If that’s the case then I’m out of luck as I can’t just create that in a short time line.
    I think those groups are just so inundated with scammers that they are attempting to combat that and going too far.

I'd just PM them with your daughter's name and that she'll be attending in XX years, and that are you a member of the other class group, etc.