Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How often do your kids clean their retainers?

What do they use? Just toothbrush and toothpaste?

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    What do they use? Just toothbrush and toothpaste?
    DS got his about a month ago. He didn’t feel like the toothbrush and toothpaste cleaned it well enough, so I got him the dentures cleaner and a container. I think he cleans it with that almost every night. I think it was efferdent brand and it said it was also for retainers on it.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Other than rinsing it before and after using it? I don’t think he does.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When they get buildup, DD soaks them in vinegar for 15 minutes, then gives them a gentle brush (and rinse really well)

She probably does this every couple weeks, but I'm sure it should be more often.
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Ortho told DS to use handsoap and a toothbrush. Who knows how often (or if?) he does anything beyond rinsing it. I'm just happy he hasn't lost his retainers and he actually wears them. He was even flossing this morning when I walked into his room so I'll consider his oral care habits a win at this point!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Mine do denture cleaner when they think of it..... so maybe once a month. I know I bought a huge box, but it was also six years ago.... Maybe I should check again. I do have three with retainers now.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a night guard and was using the Target denture tablets. Read somewhere about this and it works noticeably better - and tastes better as well. Am guessing it would work even better on retainers than my night guard

I use an ultrasonic retainer cleaner for my night guard and bottom retainer. I have a leftover box of Retainer Brite (cleaning tablets) that my kids weren't using so I am using that with the ultrasonic cleaner. The Retainer Brite tablets are much more $$$ than denture cleaning tablets but they do a better job. I want the night guard and the retainer to feel clean when I put them in my mouth after brushing and flossing my teeth before bed.

https://www.amazon.com/SmileDirectCl...y%2C171&sr=1-5

I'm not sure how often my kids clean their retainers and I'm not sure how often they wear them.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No retainers here but DH wears a night guard and uses denture tablets daily. He also had an ultrasonic cleaner, but it just broke.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Other than rinsing it before and after using it? I don’t think he does.
    I just asked DS1 and he said he just rinses it daily. I told him he might want to use castille soap once in a while (that is what the orthodontist recommended).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast