Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I think it all depends on the kid. I’d say it’s 50-50 of kids coming home or going somewhere warm). I’m in coastal California , so a lot of my friends kids want to come home.
    -Freshman year dd and 3 friends flew from Boston to our house in a little California beach city. They did surf lessons, amusement park, beach days and bonfires. It was perfect for me 😂. They all had a wonderful time.
    - Sophomore year dd and same friends flew to Florida and stayed at an Airbn. Wasn’t as warm as they wanted, but they had fun.
    - Junior year, now. They were supposed to go to the Bahamas, but safety issues came up so the group is coming here. Most of them were abroad last semester and money is tight, so a free place to stay a couple of blocks from the beach made sense to them. 3 of the nights I booked a really nice hotel on the beach for myself and they can use the facilities, and also have some alone time at the house. Win-win for all of us.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

<I think DD is at same school as OPs but may be confusing people....>

First year she came to visit us in Florida with her roommates for half the break, and then spent second half at the boyfriend's school as their breaks didn't overlap. This year she and the boyfriend have the same break, and they're traveling to California together.

She would never (ok - never say never, but it would shock me!) go somewhere crowded with a big group - just not her thing. But her choices are also influenced by roommates' ability to pay - it was a stretch for them to pay airfare last year, even knowing that we would cover all expenses once they were there. A couple other friends were invited but couldn't pay airfare. (We would have paid but long story it wasn't right answer in this case.)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My oldest didn't do anything, other than dog-sit for the neighbors - who were on spring break. They have kids the same age and did a family road-trip to warmer temps.

She had opportunity to go to Mexico w/ roommate1's family if she bought her plane ticket. That was $1000, so she passed. It was a full week, and she kind of gets her fill of being anywhere by day 4. She also could've gone to Vegas w/ roommate2 and some other friends. Shorter duration, but she passed on that as well. She really just wanted to hang out and relax. Her boyfriend traveled out of state for a week with his team.

My youngest talked of driving to CO with some friends and ZERO plans. Luckily that just fell apart. He saw HS friends and just kind of bummed around.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD1 went on a prearranged Caribbean island trip with a bunch of sororities. Was a little dodgy but they made it back safely.

DD2 had a super early spring break so no HS friends were around and the college friends had other plans. Once she found out DH had a work trip to a warm location that week she looked at me and said "where are WE going??" So we went to a diff Caribbean island for a few days. Honestly we did NOTHING but lay by the pool unless we were laying on the beach. It was great. The other days she was just here.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My daughter went out of state for college and most of her friends stayed near us to go to local schools. She misses them while she is away so she uses spring break to come home and spend time with them. They had different spring breaks this year so one day she hung out on campus with them and went to a class. She also used the time to apply for summer internships.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My eldest comes home, hangs out with some friends, spend some time with us, walks the dogs, and eats food. It's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    DD1 went on a prearranged Caribbean island trip with a bunch of sororities. Was a little dodgy but they made it back safely.

DD2 had a super early spring break so no HS friends were around and the college friends had other plans. Once she found out DH had a work trip to a warm location that week she looked at me and said "where are WE going??" So we went to a diff Caribbean island for a few days. Honestly we did NOTHING but lay by the pool unless we were laying on the beach. It was great. The other days she was just here.
    I love going on spring break trips with my mom — I hope my kids want to do that sometimes when they are older too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I encouraged mine to go on a trip with her friends, stay close to campus, etc...but she wanted to come home (cross country flight). So she's home this week, and little sister is thrilled.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3