gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default How do you go about helping someone who has very strong body odor?

DD is in a class with a young teacher who she likes a lot and does a great job teaching. But she has terrible body odor. In fact, my two sons who don't take her course can smell her outside her classroom (she is the only teacher who uses this room). My DD said it doesn't really bother her because her sense of smell was affected when she got COVID. But a friend of mine with kids in the same class said it smells so bad that her boys come home with headaches.

I can't understand why the dean of the high school hasn't said anything other than her room is in a corner of the building next to the restrooms but not near other classes. So maybe the other faculty think it's the restrooms that smell? Also, the high school dean of students is a male who is usually kind of awkward and always asks one of the female teachers to speak to girls who are out of uniform or have issues so I don't see him telling this teacher she needs to do something about her body odor.

The other mom felt very strongly that the school should do something about this. I am concerned she might blurt something out that embarrasses someone or hurts feelings. How can we resolve this delicately? The teacher is nice and DD really likes her class. She wouldn't want her teacher hurt or embarrassed. Thoughts?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Well, it’s going to be embarrassing for her no matter how it’s handled. But it should come from the school and not a student or parent. Is there a female of some sort at the school? Counselor? Another teacher? I’d maybe brainstorm some ideas with another parent and then the two of you go to the principal and see what he has to say. I only say this because your school is small and the principal knows and trusts you. You can always approach it from a position of concern, like you want to protect her from the students making fun of her

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think you should resolve it. It's not your place. I do think you can meet or email the principal, kindly share your concern, and any possible solutions you may have and then let it play out as the principal determines appropriate.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh, this is such an embarrassing situation for the teacher to be told (maybe her smell was also affected by Covid). It seems like it should be handled in the way that causes the least embarrassment to her. I agree that it is the school's responsibility, not yours to say something.

Would the teacher get the hint if it was said in a general way (like there are complaints that the classroom smells and maybe students in her class have BO so could she open the windows or use an air freshener)?

If a general hint wouldn't work, maybe a note (anonymous but saying it was a former student or parent of a former student so she doesn't have to feel like someone she sees daily sent it)? I know it's a little white lie to sign it that way but it would be done to cause the least embarrassment.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree with MSW and you should stay clear. Your daughter isn't haveing a problem. There is no easy solution that will not embarass the teacher and may reflect poorly on the messenger. Not your monkey, not your circus.

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Could someone suggest an air purifier for the room?

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This could be a good solution.
    Or maybe an essential oil diffuser?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)