Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: work dilemma..

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    But the thing is i don’t think that is actually a rule here. When i joined the company, this wasn’t true (i remember they literally had to create a req just for me after interviewing me, bc of the expertise i had and the salary i asked for). So it is really a gray area.

At this point, i think it will come down to exec leadership having a say on whether they think it’s a good move or not…basically what option they think will win them the most $.

and no, not much women in sr leadership at the company but its wayyy better environment than my previous one and so many others in tech.
    I get it. We have postings but then there people moved into positions where we all know it wasn't posted. Anyway, you should go for it despite everything else.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    I get it. We have postings but then there people moved into positions where we all know it wasn't posted. Anyway, you should go for it despite everything else.
    Thanks! And i get why those kind of rules exist…ironically, that rule i think is in large part to support equity esp for women/minorities who are typically get left out of being picked for higher-level roles bc usually those are all about who you know and all that.

Is it possible that your boss might have wanted to position, does it leap frog over him?

I don't think you should feel bad about bringing it up, you were being conscientious. In hindsight, it was a lesson in office politics and it would have been better to have understood who was part of this conversation already and next steps yadayada, but those situations are hard to navigate until you've been in that type of situation, and in this case I think the fallout is on them, not on you. (I've never been the situation you are in, but I definitely had to get savvy about moving internally at my last place and very careful comms up and down chains of command, it could all be so wearisome)

Congratulations, it sounds like they really value you!!
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofspring View Post
    Is it possible that your boss might have wanted to position, does it leap frog over him?

I don't think you should feel bad about bringing it up, you were being conscientious. In hindsight, it was a lesson in office politics and it would have been better to have understood who was part of this conversation already and next steps yadayada, but those situations are hard to navigate until you've been in that type of situation, and in this case I think the fallout is on them, not on you. (I've never been the situation you are in, but I definitely had to get savvy about moving internally at my last place and very careful comms up and down chains of command, it could all be so wearisome)

Congratulations, it sounds like they really value you!!
    re: first sentence - definitely not , the position is not as high as his current level (I’ve l lucked out at getting to report to manager several levels above me)

and thanks that is good to remember that i guess folks in this company really value me. It is still not something I’m used to and it’s almost a little uncomfortable if that makes any sense. Kind of like a person that is used to being invisible their whole life and now has to learn to watch what they say and do, bc people actually notice. It night and day from anywhere i used to work at before. So i guess i should be grateful for that - thanks for the reminder!

Update - my boss talked to me yesterday after talking with the VP of the other org. He had calmed down a bit . I think he had somehow had thought I had been already been offered the job , higher salary etc . He just flipped out on Friday and didn’t hear all what I was saying re: this is an option that’s on the table for me, and I wanted him to be aware. He still seems unhappy about it, and expressed doubts that this would even be a promotion for me bc my current level and salary are already fairly high. The VP of the new org had told me it would be a promotion, but my boss thinks he’s somehow misinformed.

Anyway it’s mostly in HR’s and the other org’s hands now. …They are setting up formal interview process etc. If they end up not being able to offer me higher salary for this position then I probably wouldn’t take it. Which I am fine with - at least now I have some leverage in my current role. PP made good point- at the very least my name is out there and everyone is aware I’m pretty damn valuable.

Thanks everyone for all your advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2