Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Are you referring to those official cards/stationary that have the seal of the school etc? Nobody we know does those, the only one I got was 3 years ago and it was someone who is over the top with stuff, she also sent a few casual senior pics in the envelope. I remember getting those 35 years ago when my US friends graduated, we don't do those in Canada.

We sent out Grad party pic invitations to family and friends, some who live far away but still wanted them to have it. The kids will hand out to friends too.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No, the kids can still order those through Jostens at the school, but no one does, I've never gotten one anyways. They are all photocards Shutterfly and the like. Some Senior 20xx graphic, senior photos, the party info, a lot of people do two sided and the back has a blurb about what they are doing after graduation.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default S/O: who are you sending grad announcements to?

Thanks!

I was talking about announcements in general. I had the standard old school Jostens announcements (I graduated in high school in 1995). I know for sure I didn’t send them to my parents Christmas card list because then they were close to $30 for 20 of them so not cheap back then either. Other than the two I got from friends I haven’t gotten one from a family member since a cousin graduated from college in 2015 (and we attended that graduation….it was for Dd2’s godfather). I have three second cousins who are in college and I didn’t get an announcement for any of their high school graduations and none of them live close to us. I should ask my mom if she wants me to send announcements to her sisters, and brothers. Both DH and my extended families are on social media (either FB or Instagram) and I do feel like it helps us keep in touch. I just don’t want it to seem like we are spamming them and asking for gifts. I sent senior pictures with the family friends/my aunts and uncles with the Christmas cards, but these friends/family know DD1 and see her at family events and weddings/funerals/anniversary parties through the years and Dd1 does know them.

For DD1’s friends we did a Punchbowl invite and the electronic invitation seems to be the standard here. We did order paper invites for two families we have become friends with and then DD1 said another friend of hers would’ve liked a paper invite.

I still have a 10 free card coupon from Shutterfly so maybe I will talk to my mom and if she wants me to send them to her sisters and some other close friends that we know, and the two ladies who sent me one for their daughters. I guess I could also include DH’s family in Florida that we just when we were there as well so they do know that Dd1 is graduating.

Again thank you all so much for your opinions on the matter.

ETA: we put a photo of DD1 in her varsity jacket on the front and a photo of her at the college she is attending on the back with the party information. If I were to do more announcements I would do the same photo and include the same photo and her college information on the back.

Yes DD1 committed to SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-16-2024 at 12:49 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No one.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I love to receive the announcements and don't always feel obligated to send a gift unless we are very close.
    Giving or receiving a gift because an announcement was received would never cross my mind. DS1 got 1 gift, from my best friend who I've known since we were 14 and she was with me the day DS1 was born. I will send a gift to her daughter this year too who's a senior.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

People send graduation announcements? Is this a regional thing? I’ve never received one! I receive and send dozens of holiday cards but I’ve never seen a hard copy grad announcement. What do they look like and say? Is this via Shutterfly?

Annie, congrats to your DD on her decision!

for Sandy Hook

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    People send graduation announcements? Is this a regional thing? I’ve never received one! I receive and send dozens of holiday cards but I’ve never seen a hard copy grad announcement. What do they look like and say? Is this via Shutterfly?

They’re now very similar in style to Christmas cards but have pictures of the graduate only. Mostly lifestyle shots featuring their various interests / sports. Information about graduation ceremony and future plans may also be included.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I remember sending them when I graduated high school and I’ve been getting them every year after I married from cousins and their kids. We get about 5-6 each year. If we know the family or kids well enough I send money.

The thing I had never heard of was birth announcements.i don’t ever remember seeing those growing up. When we moved to Minnesota with the my first pregnancy, some neighbor ladies convinced me I had to do birth announcements when my kids were born. Of course, these were scrap-booking ladies (another thing I had never heard of) and they made a fortune convincing me I had to make cute little hand-stamped birth announcements. They turned out cute and I saved some in shadow boxes so it’s all good but man they were a lot of work. For the kids’ graduation cards, I outsourced all of it. My kids weren’t the only ones who got older and wiser. lol
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Shutterfly is a common vendor, yes. Anywhere you'd get Christmas cards, they look very similar to Christmas photo cards.

https://www.shutterfly.com/graduation-cards/

In our area, it is mainly an invite to their grad party. We had multiple senior pix on front w/ the grad graphic and the party details, on the back we had a single pic overlaid with text re: college plans.

We did send it to a few people we didn't think would actually come. Older relatives who always told me they got a kick out of getting photo Christmas cards, distant friends, special music teacher from childhood, etc.

I personally thought of this as more of an "announcement" to them, even though the party details were on it (I didn't buy two versions). I've received "announcements" like this in a similar vein. People who are too far away to travel to eat pulled pork with for 2 hours but who still might get a smile out of seeing the kid all grown up.

I personally quit with the Christmas cards when mine were 14 and 16, so this was a nice "here's the kids now". lol

The kids themselves don't do much of anything with the paper cards, they have their own digital invites/calendars, etc.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ours just had a nice pic of DS1 on the front that I had taken in our backyard. On the front it had his graduation date and name of high school. No graduation party since it was the height of covid. On the back it said the college he had chosen and what he planned to study.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2