MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any teachers here with gifted certification?

Are there any teachers with gifted certification in here or someone who knows how to read a MAP test to identify as gifted? Our school is telling me one thing, but I want to get a second opinion before I ask more questions, as I'm not sure they know what they're talking about.

Map generally isn’t used for gifted identification. CogAT is more common.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Map generally isn’t used for gifted identification. CogAT is more common.
    MAP is used in our state as one method of identification. From everything I've read he qualifies based on those scores. I can ask for a CogAt, but don't think I need to.

Both of my children are identified as high ability learners which is what the gifted program is called in my area. The school system uses both CogAT and MAP test scores as part of the identification process.

The criteria: CogAT full battery score at or above 96th percentile in reading, math, or both, OR MAP scores at or above the 95th percentile in reading, math, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches Keane View Post
    Both of my children are identified as high ability learners which is what the gifted program is called in my area. The school system uses both CogAT and MAP test scores as part of the identification process.

The criteria: CogAT full battery score at or above 96th percentile in reading, math, or both, OR MAP scores at or above the 95th percentile in reading, math, or both.
    Thank you! That was my understanding of MAP scores as well regardless of state. DS consistently is above 95% with the exception of his last one. However, our state requirements say must have reached a 95% in the last 24 months which he has done 5 times. I will follow back up with the school. They love me. I’m always questioning things.

Our district uses CogAT. (MAP scores were used to qualify you for CogAT.) when my daughter took it, she had to score top 3% in the district (which is a higher bar than overall %). DD qualified only for math since her verbal score was “only” 96%. DS2 qualified for both. (DS1 is too ADHD to test well )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

While I've taken training to teach gifted students, the qualification process is overseen by a district department that if needed sends out staff to assist with testing, or if possible partners with on-site school psychologists. If parents ask me questions I direct them to the psychologist. Do you know if the process is handled locally at your school or at the district level? You'd want to reach out to whoever is in charge of the process (and that may not be a person on site.)

For us, we have specific grade years where students are tested using the CogAT. If they do not qualify at the first screening, they are screened at a set grade in the future. Do you know if your son is between windows? It may be that they are waiting for him to hit a particular grade level to re-screen him. MAP is given repeatedly to track student progress (in other districts, we use a different assessment), but the CogAT is typically not given over and over again. If a student is in-between screening years and is scoring exceptionally high on the semester and annual assessments, what we can do is recommend that she/he be placed with a gifted-cluster class.

Not sure any of this helps as it is so state and district-dependent!