Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I'd lean toward go out in May and sign lease for July if they find something and keep the AirBnB as a back up in case during the May visit they don't find what they need for July or find something but it won't be available until Aug/Sept.
    This is what I would do too. Maybe you could call ahead and have a list of places with availability so you know how many options you have. Then you may find a few more options when you get there.

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    This is what I would do too. Maybe you could call ahead and have a list of places with availability so you know how many options you have. Then you may find a few more options when you get there.
    I agree with this

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ok, scheduling a May trip. Which, is proving to be so, so hard! Everytime I think I have dates that work, I cross reference all of our calendars and can't swing it. May= end of school year craziness!

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I did this back in the 90s - went by myself in June, secured lease starting in August. I thankfully had a cousin to stay with about 30 minutes away, but finding a rental car at 21 was not trivial. Apartment was ok, but less than ideal and I moved after 1 year when DH joined me.
    Good luck to your son!

I would suggest looking to see if there's a reddit board for the school/town. I live in a college town and there are constantly posts from people in similar predicaments; you can also search old posts and get info on various housing options.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ask him to scan a copy of the lease for you to proofread for him before he signs it. Not that he won't make good decisions but it never hurts to have a second set of eyes look over these things. We pointed out some potential problems with DS1's lease and he decided that housing situation wasn't for him.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Ask him to scan a copy of the lease for you to proofread for him before he signs it. Not that he won't make good decisions but it never hurts to have a second set of eyes look over these things. We pointed out some potential problems with DS1's lease and he decided that housing situation wasn't for him.
    The university offers that service. They know their stuff! I’ll look too- always do

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    The university offers that service. They know their stuff! I’ll look too- always do

You are lucky the university offers that service. DS1's does not. He really wanted to live with some friends who have a history of partying and drinking. DS1 said that wouldn't affect him since he doesn't drink and would have his own bedroom. But when we pointed out that the lease included strict language about what could and could not happen in the house and the lost of his security deposit seemed the goal of those strict rules, he then decided not to room with those kids. He said he could forsee losing his security deposit based on their behavior and he wasn't cool with that. He's signing a lease to share an apartment with a grad student off campus which I think could be a good situation for him. I actually have no idea and just pray that he's not lonely or that his girlfriend breaks up with him.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    You are lucky the university offers that service. DS1's does not. He really wanted to live with some friends who have a history of partying and drinking. DS1 said that wouldn't affect him since he doesn't drink and would have his own bedroom. But when we pointed out that the lease included strict language about what could and could not happen in the house and the lost of his security deposit seemed the goal of those strict rules, he then decided not to room with those kids. He said he could forsee losing his security deposit based on their behavior and he wasn't cool with that. He's signing a lease to share an apartment with a grad student off campus which I think could be a good situation for him. I actually have no idea and just pray that he's not lonely or that his girlfriend breaks up with him.
    Student legal services. Super handy resource!

In a college town, I always assume a security deposit isn’t coming back. But, we take move in videos with time stamps and document any pre existing problems. Move out videos too. I also researched which management companies were shady and avoided them. His undergrad apartment didn’t have a security deposit so that was weird but I guess ok.
    Is on campus not an option for your kiddo? Seems like it’d be better to be more tied into a community than a single older student that might not be around much/have their own friends and interests.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Student legal services. Super handy resource!

Is on campus not an option for your kiddo? Seems like it’d be better to be more tied into a community than a single older student that might not be around much/have their own friends and interests.

There is a severe housing shortage. And, like freshman year, ds1 waited until it was too late to set something up with friends. So like last year, we waited for ds1 to set something up and behind the scenes, Dh contacted the school and asked for help. Because ds1 has registered learning disabilities along with the depression, they found him a spot. This time, they found him a less attractive spot- sharing a tiny bedroom in a tiny apartment. He didn’t like that option so he found first the apartment with the heavy-drinking friends and then secondly the apartment with the grad student.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2