Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I’ve read a lot of merit offers thanks to my two kids. Here’s my take on this- every institution except one had very clear guidelines on the requirements for the merit to roll over each year: required GPA and required number of units (student had to meet their minimum to be full time.) We also were able to get very clear info on past tuition increases and the process for appealing for more merit to keep on track with tuition hikes. (Though this is not guaranteed, it’s something to consider if the university has an ongoing predictable trend of annual tuition increases.) I used College Confidential to search for past merit offers and knew if DC were being offered the standard merit or extra merit. If standard, I figured we had some wiggle room to ask for more.

You should be able to get all of the guidelines info from the school.

We had one school out of dozens (between my two kids) that wouldn’t spell this all out for us. They offered the biggest merit for their nursing school that would have made it a very affordable choice for the first year. But, they couldn’t explain the parameters or guarantee that DD would get the merit the next year. They flew DD out and recruited her with all the bells and whistles. But, if they couldn’t tell us how their own merit worked we didn’t feel it was a safe bet. We decided to pass.

If your DS gets into the state school, send the proof and the aid offer to the top choice school. When our DS got a scholarship to our state school, DS’ top choice and second choice both upped their merit to match the written offer from the state school. The top choice school knew if they matched DS would commit that day.

One of DD’s top choices didn’t do this so no guarantees, but it’s worth a shot. I do wonder if they thought DD was not quite as willing to commit as DD would have been moving from SoCal weather to the Midwest cold!

Hope they are able to answer all your questions and your DS finds a great fit!
    Last edited by California; 04-21-2024 at 11:01 AM.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the good vibes daisyd; we will take all we can get!

SnuggleBuggles, I tried to join the college's parent page and it is required that your child has at least committed already; it seems they do not allow those just admitted.

California, regarding the state school ds is in, but we are waiting for his financial aid award. We know he will get full tuition, but not sure about room and board (but he can live here if necessary). However, regardless, even assuming he gets scholarship towards room and board from the state school (he might) the COA of the state school is close to half of this private school so the private school would be still giving more in scholarship money...so not sure if it will be compare in their eyes as they would still be technically giving more money but the COA would be more? Hope that makes sense!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

JustMe, in our experience admissions staff compared total cost of attendance. So when the state school offered a scholarship and came down in cost- even though DS got a much smaller scholarship from the state school- two private schools added to their merit offer. It’s worth showing the financial office proof that your DS got in to the state school and what his total COA would be there, just in case there’s some wiggle room for them to offer more merit.

Meanwhile your DS can help by showing interest- opening every email from the private school, clicking on links to their website, and reaching out to his admissions contact with questions.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks for the good vibes daisyd; we will take all we can get!

SnuggleBuggles, I tried to join the college's parent page and it is required that your child has at least committed already; it seems they do not allow those just admitted.

California, regarding the state school ds is in, but we are waiting for his financial aid award. We know he will get full tuition, but not sure about room and board (but he can live here if necessary). However, regardless, even assuming he gets scholarship towards room and board from the state school (he might) the COA of the state school is close to half of this private school so the private school would be still giving more in scholarship money...so not sure if it will be compare in their eyes as they would still be technically giving more money but the COA would be more? Hope that makes sense!
    Does he have a roster spot for his sport at the state school? With full tuition and a chance to compete, it likely isn’t going to get any better than that offer—especially if he could live at home. Great opportunity
    K

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Does he have a roster spot for his sport at the state school? With full tuition and a chance to compete, it likely isn’t going to get any better than that offer—especially if he could live at home. Great opportunity
    No, ironically the team at our state school is one of the best/fastest and he would not make that team. That is why the state school is not an obvious yes.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2