MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Tricks to get a room at a sold out hotel?

Somehow, I screwed up. We're going to watch the Olympic swim trials for a few days this summer. I immediately booked a hotel when I bought the tickets a long time ago. At the time we didn't know the times for semifinals and finals. So, for some reason I didn't book a hotel for the last night, apparently thinking we would just drive home (about a 3-4 hr drive). I've since found the schedule and finals don't even start till 8 that night, so I"m guessing we wouldn't drive back till at least 10 or later. The other hang up is that now we have to be out of our room in the late morning, and DH and DS2 will just have to wonder downtown Indy while they wait for us because they didn't want tickets. They just wanted to hang out at the hotel or explore while we were at trials. If we don't get a room it won't be the end all, but it would be nice to be able to snag a room. Are there any tricks to try and get one if there is a cancellation besides constantly stalking the website?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have you called their local number (not the 800 number)?

Not sure how long your stay is. I had one trip for an event where the hotel connected to the convention space had our room for the first three nights, but absolutely not for the fourth night. I called directly about every two weeks for months before arriving.

I had gone ahead and booked a hotel about an hour down the road for us to go to for the final night since we would not be ending until late and had a 12 hour drive. Even at check-in, I was told no to adding the extra night. But I called from the room within the first few hours there and suddenly, no problem and got the extension. Cancelled the room in the other town and it worked out.