Default Retirement gift for male neighbor?

We're relatively new to the neighborhood (just about a year) and our next door neighbor is retiring. We wanted to acknowledge that with a gift. They have been very lovely to us. Any recommendations? Want to spend like $100 or so. Don't know too much about his hobbies. He's a grandparent. They do eat out alot and travel alot. He was in the liquor industry so don't really want to get him a bottle of anything.
    I'm stumped.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

firstbaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How about Storyworth?

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Could you just take him (& his spouse if there is one) out for supper to celebrate? I feel like that might be the best thing.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is this a thing for folks? Even close friends who I've know retire don't usually get such a nice gift from their close coworkers. I'd see if he has a fav local place and get a gift card for a nice lunch out. Is this something most of you do for people you know who are retiring??? Maybe it's regional?

If you like to host, have them over for dinner. If not, I'm sure they would enjoy eating a dinner out with you or a gift card to a local restaurant.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Is this a thing for folks? Even close friends who I've know retire don't usually get such a nice gift from their close coworkers. I'd see if he has a fav local place and get a gift card for a nice lunch out. Is this something most of you do for people you know who are retiring??? Maybe it's regional?
    I'm not in the age group (yet!) where I know many people who have retired, lol. So I'm not sure what is usually done.

These neighbors have been exceptionally welcoming...gifting us a couple of things and also doing us a favor. So we did take them out to dinner a couple of months as a thank you. One of the gifts was in recognition of a life event, so I thought it would be nice to also recognize the retirement with a gift.

Maybe inviting them over for drinks or dinner would be a nice gesture to celebrate the retirement.....
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Retirement gift for male neighbor?

This is not a thing in our neighborhood at all so I have no suggestions. I would just get to know him now that he will most likely be around more. If he invites you to a party then bring a bottle of wine. My dad is in the beer wine industry and he loves to get a nice bottle of wine or a six pack of a microbrew. Not everyone does but most people who are in the industry love what they sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-08-2024 at 03:57 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

firstbaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    I'm not in the age group (yet!) where I know many people who have retired, lol. So I'm not sure what is usually done.

These neighbors have been exceptionally welcoming...gifting us a couple of things and also doing us a favor. So we did take them out to dinner a couple of months as a thank you. One of the gifts was in recognition of a life event, so I thought it would be nice to also recognize the retirement with a gift.

Maybe inviting them over for drinks or dinner would be a nice gesture to celebrate the retirement.....
    I think it’s a really lovely thing when someone makes a positive impact on our lives and we want to gift them something, especially with such a big milestone. Don’t even give a second thought if gifting is a thing or not, and do what your heart is leading you to do. Goodness knows we’ve had enough gift quandaries raising kids that when you WANT to gift something go for it. There is no downside.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

When my dad retired, he was given 2 black walnut trees from his secretary who was also a farmer. It seemed like such an odd gift but they are now huge and produce walnuts and can be tapped for syrup. Honestly, that?s the only retirement gift I could think of.

I vote taking your neighbors out to dinner a couple times. It sounds like they would enjoy that.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    When my dad retired, he was given 2 black walnut trees from his secretary who was also a farmer. It seemed like such an odd gift but they are now huge and produce walnuts and can be tapped for syrup. Honestly, that?s the only retirement gift I could think of.

I vote taking your neighbors out to dinner a couple times. It sounds like they would enjoy that.

What a lovely gift!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005