Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Temporary POA for care of children?

I thought this has been discussed on here but I can't find it! DH and I are travelling internationally without the kids this summer. Grandparents will be watching the DC. In the past when we've done this, DH was still in the military and we'd go to the JAG office and they'd do a Special POA for us. I need to do another one this time but DH isn't in the military anymore so JAG isn't an option. Looking over old ones they seem very standard though -- is there somewhere reputable online with a template we could use, then get notarized in person? What have others done when leaving their kids for periods of time? TIA!
    Lizi

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There are templates online - but I would suggest checking with your ped?s office if there is a form they and nearby hospitals prefer. Ours did and said it made it much easier if needed, so we used that.

I have always used one of the online legal template sites to download a form and gotten it notarized. I did ask our pediatrician and they said their office didn?t need anything and it wouldn?t be a problem if the kids grandparents brought them in.

I have also had to use a medical permission letter to get treatment at an express care clinic operated by a local hospital health system for an unrelated teen who lived several states away before. Her mom hand wrote a note that included her birthdate and list of her medications and had it signed by a witness but it wasn?t notarized. They did look at it and had no problem accepting it even though we didn?t know her SSN and couldn?t get her mom on the phone. I first took her to a different walk in clinic who also was fine with the hand written note, but didn?t take her Medicaid insurance so they sent us to the second place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have been on both ends of the need for a letter. I have cruised with a teenager and had her parents fill out a form I found online. The cruise line accepted that without notarization when we provided copies of their drivers licenses (we had her birth certificate for travel)
    My son needed to go to the ER out of state when he was visiting the same family and the hospital called me for permission to treat and to get our insurance info.
    mom to Billy 12/07

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    I have been on both ends of the need for a letter. I have cruised with a teenager and had her parents fill out a form I found online. The cruise line accepted that without notarization when we provided copies of their drivers licenses (we had her birth certificate for travel)
    My son needed to go to the ER out of state when he was visiting the same family and the hospital called me for permission to treat and to get our insurance info.
    In real life my experience with pediatric emergency or urgent OR is we just contact the family member. I've seen the parents not be in contact and a semi urgent need arises and they will get consent from a grandparent or other adult family member that is caring for child. I don't think I've ever seen a POA for a child. I'm sure they come into play if you are going to be out for an extended period of time and there will be routine care. Having said that my MIL took my youngest for several appointments and no one asked for any credentials for scripts, etc.

All this is to say I would not go out of your way to get any form. Finding a form online and filling it out with nothing added is way more than I've ever done.

We found a form online and had it notarized because we have easy access to a notary.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our pediatric clinic has specific forms to fill out which allow your relatives to seek care for your kids.
    I’d check and see if yours has the same and fill out a more generic one. Our local library has a notary.
    K

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks everyone -- I'm finding several options online and can use or local library to notarize. My DC will be at my parents' house in another state, and because of time zones, super long flights, and some more remote travel, there will be enough periods where DH and I are out of contact that we feel much better having a paper in my parents' hands. I'll of course make sure they also have the insurance cards for the DC, which is probably the thing that'll be more important than anything if care is sought! But the real hope is that I prepare all this and then it's never needed!
    Lizi