Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vw id.4

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    The VW has been out for several years, so there is that. I just can't get past the look of the 3s, however lame that may be. It is a risk with battery issues but you can have lemons with ICE vehicles too. The price of ICE vehicles is still so crazy, darn it! Oh, I won't lease as my commute is too long and I rack up the miles.
    Duh, I didn't think about the miles.

I AM a car girlie. I love cars. I refuse to pay that kind of money for something when I hate something, anything about it. I am totally in your camp here. It's absolutely more than point A to point B for me, it's looks, it's feel, comfort, etc. Same with anything, some people care a lot of about purses, decor, fashion - and some do not - it's only utilitarian to them.

I only had two kids, so I never "needed" a minivan or SUV. I could rock my preferred sport sedans with no issue. But, had I had more kids, I would've had to move into bigger car territory - preferences be damned.

How many VWs are out there? Are parts easy to come by? That was the problem with the Volt, they were fully prepared to fix it at no cost to the owner, but they absolutely could not get the parts after months and months with no end in sight. A hybrid Toyota, or a Tesla probably won't have that issue. Electric Volkswagen? I'm not sure, but I'd really want to figure that out. They just don't seem very common. Are they selling well, or will they be dropped? You're kind of left on your own when they go out of production. Is VW all in on electric, or will the end up going hard with hybrid and forgetting about their electrics.

As much as I agree with your "don't drive cars you hate" stance, I guess I do encourage you to at least drive the 3 while looking into the VW.

ETA - also check what deals they are having on purchasing the Toyota and the Subaru all-electrics. If they are having great lease deals, they are probably also having great purchase incentives.
    Last edited by khm; 05-14-2024 at 02:22 PM.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    When you are in the car, you are't looking at the outside of your car. Go with the car that drives well. The Tesla charging network was another big selling point for us.
    I have never been a car person. There are some cars I like the looks of and some that I am meh about but have always been confused by the strong emotional response people have to some cars. Please at least test drive the 3. You are welcome to still hate it after that.
    If I had had my way, we'd have bought the electric BMW. Loved the look of that. Dh thought it drove horribly...and the sales guy basically agreed and discouraged the sale once he knew we were comparing it to a Tesla. The BMW also weirdly "piped" in engine noise because "people" liked that more normal car experience. That actually would have eventually kept me from buying it even though I did like the looks of if the best.
    Alright, alright! You convinced me. I have sat in one and ubered in one, but that is the extent.

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Duh, I didn't think about the miles.
    I AM a car girlie. I love cars. I refuse to pay that kind of money for something when I hate something, anything about it. I am totally in your camp here. It's absolutely more than point A to point B for me, it's looks, it's feel, comfort, etc. Same with anything, some people care a lot of about purses, decor, fashion - and some do not - it's only utilitarian to them.

I only had two kids, so I never "needed" a minivan or SUV. I could rock my preferred sport sedans with no issue. But, had I had more kids, I would've had to move into bigger car territory - preferences be damned.

How many VWs are out there? Are parts easy to come by? That was the problem with the Volt, they were fully prepared to fix it at no cost to the owner, but they absolutely could not get the parts after months and months with no end in sight. A hybrid Toyota, or a Tesla probably won't have that issue. Electric Volkswagen? I'm not sure, but I'd really want to figure that out. They just don't seem very common. Are they selling well, or will they be dropped? You're kind of left on your own when they go out of production. Is VW all in on electric, or will the end up going hard with hybrid and forgetting about their electrics.

As much as I agree with your "don't drive cars you hate" stance, I guess I do encourage you to at least drive the 3 while looking into the VW.

ETA - also check what deals they are having on purchasing the Toyota and the Subaru all-electrics. If they are having great lease deals, they are probably also having great purchase incentives.
    I waffle on cars. I currently drive an 08 Ford Taurus. It is utilitarian due to the fact that my drive is all freeway and cracked windshields are a common thing, however, I am 52 darn it and I would like to enjoy my drive!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    I waffle on cars. I currently drive an 08 Ford Taurus. It is utilitarian due to the fact that my drive is all freeway and cracked windshields are a common thing, however, I am 52 darn it and I would like to enjoy my drive!
    I think you WILL enjoy the drive even if you do not love the exterior vibe!

eta - what is up with the apostrophes becoming question marks
    Last edited by khm; 05-14-2024 at 09:34 PM.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't know anyone with a VW electric. In LA it seems like every 5th car on the road is a Tesla and the car line at DS2's school looks like a Tesla dealership! We're on our 3rd electric car. We had a Chevy Bolt that was a lease that we gave up during the pandemic when DH was working from home exclusively and now we have a Chevy Bolt EUV that we're extremely happy with. DH says you can get some Teslas super cheap from rental car companies that are trying to sell off their fleets, so I think we're thinking about that to replace our Mazda5. We already have a Tesla charger (which has the universal adapter to charge our Bolt).
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I don't know anyone with a VW electric. In LA it seems like every 5th car on the road is a Tesla and the car line at DS2's school looks like a Tesla dealership! We're on our 3rd electric car. We had a Chevy Bolt that was a lease that we gave up during the pandemic when DH was working from home exclusively and now we have a Chevy Bolt EUV that we're extremely happy with. DH says you can get some Teslas super cheap from rental car companies that are trying to sell off their fleets, so I think we're thinking about that to replace our Mazda5. We already have a Tesla charger (which has the universal adapter to charge our Bolt).
    I have been looking through Enterprise car sales, and yes, they do have some deals.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Late to this thread, but I have a 2023 VW ID.4 AWD ProS. It has a few quirks but I really like how it drives and a lot of the features that you can't get with a gas car or a hybrid. I'm currently trying to convince my sister to get an electric car. I just use it around town and I currently wouldn't have an electric as my only car. If you have any questions feel free to pm me as I'm not checking the boards much these days since Tapatalk seems to have stopped working.

Thanks JElaineB! Vehicles we are looking at (2 different makes) have new recalls on them so the dealers will not sell them until remedied. The recalls seem to be software updates so we are still in limbo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2