daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default How to talk to long time music teacher about leaving?

DS1 feels that he has maxed out on our local music teacher who has been teaching him for almost 10 years. We love her dearly. But DS1 feels that he has not been learning in the past year and would like to switch to a conservatory. DS2 will continue to take lessons with her. Please help me guide DS1 through having this conversation with her. TIA

firstbaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids never played an instrument seriously enough for me to know the differences between lessons and a conservatory, but assuming he would be more challenged there, I would have him frame it up that he is going to something rather than way from something and her teaching created that foundation for him and love of the instrument. “I am so thankful for all of your teachings and helping me build my skills. I feel like I have progressed so far and want to move to a conservatory to push myself into the next level.”

Quote Originally Posted by firstbaby View Post
    My kids never played an instrument seriously enough for me to know the differences between lessons and a conservatory, but assuming he would be more challenged there, I would have him frame it up that he is going to something rather than way from something and her teaching created that foundation for him and love of the instrument. ?I am so thankful for all of your teachings and helping me build my skills. I feel like I have progressed so far and want to move to a conservatory to push myself into the next level.?
    Thanks! This is helpful.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am a math tutor and my goal for my students is independence. I WANT them to not need me!! I cannot imagine that the music teacher would be anything but proud of your son for wanting to switch to a more challenging music curriculum.

He should thank her for the support and the foundations that she has given him. I would be VERY surprised if his current music teacher would be anything but supportive and VERY happy for him!

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    I am a math tutor and my goal for my students is independence. I WANT them to not need me!! I cannot imagine that the music teacher would be anything but proud of your son for wanting to switch to a more challenging music curriculum.

He should thank her for the support and the foundations that she has given him. I would be VERY surprised if his current music teacher would be anything but supportive and VERY happy for him!
    This is very helpful and reassuring to her. Thanks for posting.