Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Grocery out of stocks...

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    We can get hand sanitizer if we order from Amazon, have started going to a butcher to get meat, and we do OK with soda at pickup from places like Target.

We cannot get ... liquid hand soap refill bottles, Clorox/Lysol wipes or spray, and most cleansers.

Laundry soap is also OK, but chlorine bleach is hit-or-miss.

I'm in central NJ.
    I couldn’t find hand soap. I bought body wash instead and put it in the dispenser. Figured soap is soap. No chlorox or wipes to be found. I had bought a stash when this all started back in February to take to work as my school room doesn’t get cleaned, and I bought it all home in March. I’ll have to make my own cleaner or use something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I do all of my shopping in-store.

I HEAR you on the meat. The ground chuck used to be $3.99 a pound and it was in the butcher's window, so I could buy the exact amount I needed. Now, it's been replaced by some ground beef that's $5.99 a pound. And there are very few sales on any kind of meat now -- pork, chicken, steaks. And I've noticed that's now extended over to the breakfast meats, deli meats and hot dogs. Usually my store will rotate the weekly sale among the variety of meats (Ball Park hot dogs, Smithfield bacon on sale this week, Oscar Meyer hot dogs, Hormel bacon on sale the next week, etc.). None of it's been on sale for at least three weeks.

Items like rice, beans and mac and cheese are still looking skimpy. Toilet paper is improving. I was in Target on Saturday around 3 p.m. While the shelves weren't completely full, there was plenty to go around. I still haven't seen Clorox wipes. As for hand sanitizer, I haven't seen Purell, but both my grocery store and Target seem to now have "boutique" brands with a boutique price.

ETA: I hadn't even thought about the stuff for back to school. That will be a tall order.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 06-29-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I found one small package of Clorox wipes. That’s all I’ve been able to find but I’m not out much or making special trips.

I feel like I’ll always have a slightly different mindset while shopping these days!!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It sucks that they can't figure out how to fulfill online orders adequately. We have not done grocery pickup, but from the posts on NextDoor, it seems common to pick up and order with multiple items missing, but if you walk inside, they have them on the shelves. Some of it is the stock at the time they pull the order. I know our grocery stores are all stocking all day long (which is really, really, annoying when you are trying to stay 6 ft away and they have a giant pallet blocking the whole section), so an order pulled at 9 am for a noon pickup will be missing anything stocked from 9-12.

Costco has been fairly well stocked here. They have reduced selection of frozen hamburger, but I was able to get the 6 lb package of fresh, so I just froze it in smaller chunks. I didn't notice the TP since we never buy name-brand.

One other note - the two sodas you mentioned are not super common. I know many food manufacturers are cutting back the number of products so that they can increase production, so all the fancy Coke flavors and 17 varieties of Chex mix are no longer available. That could be the issue with the soda, not that it helps.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I couldn’t find hand soap. I bought body wash instead and put it in the dispenser. Figured soap is soap. No chlorox or wipes to be found. I had bought a stash when this all started back in February to take to work as my school room doesn’t get cleaned, and I bought it all home in March. I’ll have to make my own cleaner or use something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I’ve had good luck at finding hand soap refills at Costco.

Can’t find wipes anywhere. Otherwise, my Ralphs seems to be pretty well stocked. I’ve been able to find what I have needed. I gave up on Instacart. It was so hit and miss with what they got. Some shoppers were great, and others were not so good. I go once every two weeks. I may go this week and try to stock up as I fear another shut down is in our future here in LA.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    ... I bought body wash instead and put it in the dispenser. Figured soap is soap. ...
    I did that for one of my bathrooms because DD keeps gouging bits out of the bar soap and leaving them everywhere. EVERY. WHERE.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Update from OP:
    We're poor right now, buying higher end cuts is not happening, nor is CSA which at least here requires a fairly large initial payment. We depend on the bargain cuts that I know how to use better than most. (pork shoulder, turkey thighs, chicken thighs and whole birds, markdown meats) I did score a great deal on some frozen pollock at $2.69/lb. Meat counter staff said with the current state of the world, the demand for these cheaper cuts has gone up dramatically, though this is our normal. (I even jotted down a couple of recipes for a mom in the store, that was cool - she didn't know what to do with the pork shoulder that was on sale $1.29/lb. The two somewhat local butchers are much too expensive for us as well.
    Tuesday's pick up order was much better - ten out of stocks instead of the twenty-seven on the previous order. I got flour! No yeast though, but I did barter some starter from a neighbor in exchange for flour. Canned tomato continues to be a problem, outed again. Also none of DH's diet sodas still, but they have shelf tags still at all three stores, and of course since they are vendor filled store staff doesn't know anything.
    But in all, more successful, even if I had to go to three stores to do it.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Update from OP:
    We're poor right now, buying higher end cuts is not happening, nor is CSA which at least here requires a fairly large initial payment. We depend on the bargain cuts that I know how to use better than most. (pork shoulder, turkey thighs, chicken thighs and whole birds, markdown meats) I did score a great deal on some frozen pollock at $2.69/lb. Meat counter staff said with the current state of the world, the demand for these cheaper cuts has gone up dramatically, though this is our normal. (I even jotted down a couple of recipes for a mom in the store, that was cool - she didn't know what to do with the pork shoulder that was on sale $1.29/lb. The two somewhat local butchers are much too expensive for us as well.
    Tuesday's pick up order was much better - ten out of stocks instead of the twenty-seven on the previous order. I got flour! No yeast though, but I did barter some starter from a neighbor in exchange for flour. Canned tomato continues to be a problem, outed again. Also none of DH's diet sodas still, but they have shelf tags still at all three stores, and of course since they are vendor filled store staff doesn't know anything.
    But in all, more successful, even if I had to go to three stores to do it.
    I’m glad more of the items you were looking for were in stock. Hopefully the shortages will be fewer and fewer. I would love recipes if you’re up for sharing. I’m new to cooking and always happy to have something new to try!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the interest, I feel so loved!

I will start a thread in the lounge in the next day or two.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3