Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Voting while in labor?

I realize this is a bit premature (no pun intended), but I am due 11/13/2010. Suppose I am in the hospital, giving birth a bit early on election day...how do I vote? Do hospitals offer absentee ballots? Do I need to try to vote early on the excuse that I MIGHT be incapacitated? What to do?

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think you have to register for an absentee ballot ahead of time. I was due the very end of October with my last baby. I wasn't sure whether I'd be up and around yet by election day. I ended up giving birth 8 days early & it was fine. It was good, because I totally forgot to register for an absentee ballot.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In my state (NC) you don't need any excuse to have an absentee ballot. I would just check with your state's regulations. I can't imagine that you won't be able to get an absentee ballot given your due date!

BTW, way to be a responsible citizen

And good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Whooo citizenship!! Good for you!!
    I agree with the PPs about the absentee ballot thing.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

We're in California and you'll need to register for an absentee ballot ahead of time. It was so convenient, I permanently registered myself for send-by-mail ballot.

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i would request an absentee/vote by mail ballot so that you can send it in early.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fumofu View Post
    We're in California and you'll need to register for an absentee ballot ahead of time. It was so convenient, I permanently registered myself for send-by-mail ballot.
    Me too. I have been permanent absentee voting for over 10years now, even though I now work a more convenient schedule for getting to the polls. Last year we even carried our ballots to the polling place, because it was at a fire station and DS could see the engines.
    mom to Billy 12/07

I was due in Nov 2008 - I requested and completed my absentee ballot early. In my state, you need a reason to vote absentee, and pregnancy is an accepted reason.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

In Virginia, you could just go and vote early (absentee) a few weeks before the election -- I did this when I was in college out of state and might not be around on Election Day. I don't remember having to provide any reason for early voting, but that may have changed.
    Emma in Bermuda
    Mama to furkids Beau and Mattie
    DS1 born June 2010
    DS2 born November 2012

I will have a newborn on Election Day and will be doing absentee ballot as well, so I don't have to drag a brand new baby into a germ-filled library to stand among lots of people! Thanks for the reminder--I'll be sure to get mine early.
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast