Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Email from OT - How Would You Proceed

I received this from ds2's OT (edited for brevity):

He is doing great in Ot with both regulation and handwriting. Something I have been noticing more and more is ds2's speech and comprehension needs. He is having difficulty sharing his thoughts, answering questions, and following multi-step directions given orally. I was thinking speech may also be impacting his regulation. Would you be open to a speech eval?

DS2 is 5. He starts kindergarten next year, so fall of 2014. He had speech therapy from age 22 months to age 4.25. His issues were always expressive language. His last six months of speech only addressed certain combined sounds. Although he wasn't tested very often, every time he was tested he scored very, very well for receptive language. Right now, the only thing he doesn't say correctly is R, which from what I hear from both his prior speech therapists (school district and private) that R should come between 7-8. Thoughts? Seek a private speech eval? Something else? I emailed the school district speech therapist, with whom he received therapy for a few months last year. Thanks!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It sounds like they are more concerned with his use of speech/language and not articulation. I would get an evaluation. If your district is pretty good and will evaluate for this, it's a good place to start.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    It sounds like they are more concerned with his use of speech/language and not articulation. I would get an evaluation. If your district is pretty good and will evaluate for this, it's a good place to start.
    Thank you. Do you think he needs a general evaluation or just a speech eval?

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Thank you. Do you think he needs a general evaluation or just a speech eval?
    Can you talk to the OT in person or by phone?

The e-mail sounds like she may be feeling you out for how open you are to additional evaluations. I would ask her if there are other concerns and if there are other evaluations she would suggest.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Thanks.

I would do the eval. It can't hurt....and I know, once you're done with a therapy the last thing you want to do is add another.

One thing that popped into my mind...could he possibly have an auditory processing issue? It sounds like since he tests high for receptive language and his sounds are now age-appropriate, maybe it's an auditory issue causing expressive language problems. Just trouble-shooting here!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09