Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Anyone have a bichon frise?

We had to put our Maggie Moo to sleep yesterday. She was a fabulous doggy for 15 years. The house feels so very empty. We knew this day was coming and had been thinking about what dog to get when we did lose Maggie. The best time for us is in May as I'm off school all summer, so we're starting to look at rescue organizations as know it can talk a little time to arrange. We'd prefer to rescue a dog than buy from a breeder.

DH is interested in a bichon frise. Friends have a maltese terrier that we pet sit and she's a love bug. We also want a playful dog for DS, our Maggie didn't play much as she was elderly dog with badly healed broken leg from when she was a street dog, so couldn't play much. DH and DS want to get a cat, so need a dog that gets along with kids and cats. I want a dog that isn't too big or strong (BTDT and had difficulty controlling the dog even when worked with trainers).

The bichon frise seems to fit all of that, except some websites say not good alone. Would a cat be enough companionship? I'm gone a few hours a day while in grad school, and once start working I hope to be working near-by so could come home on lunch hour (really hoping for a school in our district or one of the 3 hospitals within 15 min drive, so can get DS early from after care). DH can also take a dog to work a couple days a week (other people at his work do)- but needs to be well-behaved, social and smaller is better if will be in his office. We're going to put a dog door in as well.

So any advice?
    Thanks.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My mom has 2. Maggie & Molly are love bugs. She also has a King Charles Spaniel that she has bred with them 2x each. Mom trims them herself and baths them but they are very nice little dogs. Very low shedding and my dog allergic son has no problems with them even getting in his face.

Molly was an only dog for 2 yrs and had no problems but my mom had retired when she got her. They have always been good with the grandkids 2 of which are there almost daily
    Last edited by JBaxter; 03-09-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

kmkaull is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We do! She's as sweet as pie. Very loyal and attached to me. She is good with our kids. Mostly quiet but she is often playful. If you want a good laugh, look up the Bichon "Blitz" on You Tube. No shedding, hypoallergenic, active and likes walks, but equally happy to lounge on the sofa. Great, smart little dogs!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

IDK if you are open to any other breeds, but miniature schnauzers sound like a breed that would suit your family too.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kmkaull View Post
    We do! She's as sweet as pie. Very loyal and attached to me. She is good with our kids. Mostly quiet but she is often playful. If you want a good laugh, look up the Bichon "Blitz" on You Tube. No shedding, hypoallergenic, active and likes walks, but equally happy to lounge on the sofa. Great, smart little dogs!
    Thanks. How is she if you leave her alone? How long do you leave her? We're fine for next 18 months, but just worried when I start work, she'll get too lonely.

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We had one while I was growing up and after she died my mom got another one and just put him to sleep before Christmas. They are super sweet dogs. Hard to train though, the female always had accidents and the male did from time to time. They were playful to a point but the girl was really bonded to my mom and I didn't like her when I was young. I think I was jealous of all the attention she got. Lol. If you don't mind having to have them groomed it could be a good fit.
    DD 9/10
    DS 8/12

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My best friend has one and loves her to death. Very calm and sweet and great with her 2 yr old.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Thanks. How is she if you leave her alone? How long do you leave her? We're fine for next 18 months, but just worried when I start work, she'll get too lonely.
    I am a SAHM, but on the occasion that we have to leave her, she is fine for 10 hours or so. We don't even lock her up because she has a great capacity and doesn't have accidents. We try not to do that very often though.

Loneliness is something to consider. Would you consider 2 Bichons? We had a Boston Terrier until last summer, and the two dogs were very close. She definitely grieved when he died. That's probably true for most dog breeds though--they are pack animals after all. :-)

Regarding grooming: I take our dog in once every 3 months or so. She just gets a puppy cut. No fro-froo head or tail. I do bathe her every few weeks, but overall I would say she's easy to take care of.

Health wise, the only issue we've had in 6 years is her teeth. I have them cleaned every year or so at the vet.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I grew up with several Bichons. They are very sweet, loving, although they can be yappy. They are fine alone but definitely prefer people company.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast