melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default best couples only vacation in Carribean

So I had posted in the lounge about how far in advance to book a trip. Now I am having trouble deciding on a place. I think we should be able to go a little longer than originally planned, thinking sunday-friday (maybe saturday) so that helps with flying to the carribean from the midwest. Originally I was thinking about $3000 but I don't know if that is realistic. My one concern is would we bored at a resort by the ocean? i can hardly believe i am saying that but with 5 days with nothing to do, or will that go fast by just taking a kayak out one day, sleeping in (my favorite thing to do), something else the next day. Thinking maybe an all inclusive but not sure. Help me decide.
    Promoting inclusiveness from within the special needs community
    "Just Include Everybody"
    includestephanie.com
    Stephanie's Shirt Shop on Facebook and Instagram

Mom to
    DD1 7-3-05
    DD2 7-5-07
    DS1 3-23-10

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

When dh and I were in college, we went to Beaches. There were so many structured activities all day that you could always opt into something. I'm sure many all inclusives offer that. Between the pool, beach, sports, poolside games, meals and excursions, there was no time to be bored.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH and I went to Couples Negril (Jamaica) for our honeymoon and have been to Couples Swept Away (also in Negril, Jamaica) twice for getaway trips. They are both all-inclusive couples-only resorts. We loved them both, but preferred Swept Away. Our last trip there was 9 yrs ago, so can’t speak to the quality recently, though. Worth a look, though, to see if they interest you. Lots of activities were included like glass bottom boat rides, snorkeling, etc. They have two more resorts on the other side of Jamaica, closer to Ocho Rios.

We have also been to Excellence Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic and enjoyed that. Not as quiet and relaxing as the Couples resorts, though. And I don’t speak Spanish, so I found Jamaica easier than DR in that respect.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Have you thought about a cruise? Might be the best of all worlds. If there's a hurricane concern, they can sometimes reroute the trip. Plus you'd get to see more than one place if you want, and just stay on the ship and relax if you'd rather.

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    Have you thought about a cruise? Might be the best of all worlds. If there's a hurricane concern, they can sometimes reroute the trip. Plus you'd get to see more than one place if you want, and just stay on the ship and relax if you'd rather.
    I have thought about it but DH won’t do a cruise. All he hears about it people always getting sick on cruise ships. I don’t care either way so not pushing that one on him.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do think sometimes 5 days at a beach resort can get boring. At least for us. But - I think if there are things to do nearby that changes things - ruins, day out on a boat, scuba diving, fishing, hiking/biking etc. rather than just laying around it changes things.

Our most fun couples trip in the Caribbean was renting a catamaran and sailing around the BVIs. We went to a different island every day - sailed a few hours, swam and snorkeled, happy houred on board, ate on shore for dinner. It was super relaxing and low key but didn't get boring. One day we rented a jeep to explore all around one of the islands when we felt like we needed to get off the boat for a day.

We also really liked Tulum - we rented a car and went to cenotes one day, Coba ruins one day, a couple beach/taco/cocktail days, did some yoga classes, snorkeled in Akumal one afternoon, went into the biosphere on bikes. It was super relaxed but not boring at all. For me it makes a big difference to leave the property we stay at. I cannot be happy parked at some large resort for days on end no matter how much they have arranged to do. It starts to feel redundant and sterile to me.

But we haven't ever done the big, stay on property AI - we stay at a boutique property or rent a house.