Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default College Parent FB groups

oh my word!!! I just got on the FB group for my son's soon to be college. There were posts with lots of good info-great. Then there were "those people". The ones who said that the food just wasn't good enough so their kid ate Door Dash every night. (thank goodness another parent said "it's college, not the Ritz Carlton") Other parents were looking for a cleaning service for their kids off campus apartment. Are.you.freaking.kidding.me????? Are these people always going to pay for this? At some point, the kid is going to have to learn to clean his own bathroom. Or the ones who don't want their children to walk anywhere after dark so they plan on paying for a parking permit at every lot on campus!. (and this is a small town place--not a big city) And then there are the people who want to send their kid booze for their 21st birthday. um, I think the kid can find that on his own. sigh. sigh. I have to remember to take the good and leave the bad.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Those pages are very interesting places!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Lol! Yes, there are all types on there. I belong to one at the school I work at and occasionally answer questions. But I also do a lot of eye rolling and thinking how this explains some of my students’ behavior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yikes! Especially the buying of a parking permit at every lot!!!

I've been extremely lucky with the parents in DS1's school's group. All seem pretty normal. Same with those in his 2nd choice school whose group I'm still in! There were lots of complaints early on about the limited hours for dining, but that seemed to be a problem at many schools due to Covid and the lack of food service staff. Now the majority of posts have to do with transportation since the school's in a small town that's hard to get to.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    ... I also do a lot of eye rolling and thinking how this explains some of my students’ behavior.
    BTDT, but at the university info line - I worked inbound call center & also responded to emails, many of which had to do with admissions questions (both undergrad & graduate, though grad admissions were more likely to be emails) or people who would explain to you why the (correct) answer you just gave them was wrong or otherwise unsatisfactory.

I remember a lot of the weird and rude ones quite vividly. Like the guy who was upset that his degree didn't get him a job so why did he still have to repay the loans he took out to earn it ... *sigh* (My friend and I had a field day with that one - venting to each other in the office before responding professionally.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Yikes! Especially the buying of a parking permit at every lot!!!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    And these are the same people who go on about choosing this school because it is less expensive than a UC school but it’s totally fine to spend money on luxuries for your kid but not education??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ours is mostly parents of kids from the Chicago suburbs who are always trying to figure out the buses from college to home (the charter buses sell out quickly and duh the days around any holidays are popular). Last week a mom needed someone to meet the roommate to pick up her kids passport and put it on an Uber, her kid was on a bus to O'Hare headed to India but he forgot his passport. Also, apparently Google is some new thing that doesn't occur for many folks. How many times I've Googled and then screenshot the answer is astounding!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't seen any of this level yet (I'm sure it's out there)... but a lot has given me an anxiety attack. "OMG we were supposed to do that already?!" - "God we just paid the deposit!!" - "How are we late on everything it's not May 1 yet???" - "But I didn't know the dates of Parent weekend/move in/move out/vacations until just NOW!"

I am hoping all these people who are ahead of the game were Early Decision students and not regular admission lol.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I am on the FB page for the college my son decided on and omg. I can't stand at least 50% of the parents who post there. There is some sort of obsession with them finding their kid a roommate! The last thing I want to do is to be the one responsible for finding my kid a roommate, have faith in the process or let the kids use profiles to find a roommate if they want to! My son is opting to get matched by the system based on his profile.

There was a huge blow up about freshman not being able to have a car on campus dependent on how far their residence is from campus, the parents are really high maintenance and whiny! I have kid who is super laid back and informal and it's making me nervous, I don't want my kid to get get a roommate from one of these nightmare parents because I feel like their kid could be high maintenance too. I was a residence hall advisor in college and was also a hall director and vividly remember how demanding and controlling some parents were. I had one mom who demanded I also issue her a key to her daughter's dorm room. When I told her we were not able to accommodate that, she lashed out at me and told me that she would just go make her own copy of a key (it says "do not copy" on it) if I wouldn't give her a copy! WTF, what kind of parent thinks they should have a key to their daughter's dorm???

I'm nervous about my son going off to college and the timeline for all of these documents that are due has been a blur. I just want him to have a good experience and be able to thrive, but I almost wish that the FB page was one way where they could share info with us and I didn't have to see so much entitlement and demands from other parents. Plus it seems that people keep re-asking the same questions over and over instead of doing a search. It's probably made more even more anxious than not, and basically, the moderator just links people to their website, so obviously if you google their website you can probably find what you need. I thought that this would be helpful, but now I kind of just wish I didn't know what I now know about some of these other parents.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow! I was not on FB so I never joined. The school wanted my eldest to join to the class of 2025 FB group to find a roommate and he was, no way. He found his roommate via Instagram? Maybe Discord? I think Discord. I never got into any patient group. I don’t feel like I missed anything. It also meant I had to let him figure stuff out more, which worked fine. I probably saved money by no feeling like, Oh, maybe we should get this for your dorm room.

I found that one of his HS a classmate’s parents got in trouble on the college FB parent page. It is a well known college with Jewish roots and a very active alumni. I knew plenty of people that went there that weren’t Jewish, but there is a group that goes there that is. I mean it’s like a Catholic college, KWIM? So there was information about the homecoming and it included things like Sabbath celebration Friday evening. The parents posted a snarky message about WHAT activity would be scheduled at that time slot for the Christian parents. It did not go over well. I felt bad from their kid.
    Last edited by dogmom; 04-24-2022 at 06:02 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast