twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How differently do your twins act when apart?

We've been trying to give the girls more "single kid" time in hopes that it helps with DD2's tantrums. Today DH took DD1 to Home Depot and I took DD2 to Costco. Both errands we needed to run.

DD2 was VERY quiet the whole trip. And she's usually our chatterbox.

DH reported that DD1 was VERY CHATTY the entire trip, and she's usually our quiet one.

I got home first with DD2. She was very quiet...until DH got home with DD1. DD2 jumped up and yelled "DD1!! DD1!!" And then she perked up.

I thought it was sweet that DD2 missed her sister so much and funny that DD1 loved her alone time without her sister. I worry a little though because I don't want DD2 to become dependent on DD1.

Just thought it'd be fun to share thoughts/experiences!

DD1 acts the way she normally does, friendly & outgoing. DD2, who is shy most of the time, is a lot more vocal and outgoing when one of us takes her out by herself.
    Once reunited, they usually tell each other where they went & what they saw. Repeatedly. For a few days.
    I would like to run errands with one of them at a time more often, since they seem to like it so much and it's ridiculously simple to wrangle only one child at a time in comparison.
    DD1 & DD2 9/2008

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I looooove taking one at a time. It doesn't work out too often though.

They both tend to be a little more talkative when they are separate but I think it is also because I tend to give them each more undivided attention, whereas when I have both I am usually rushing to get the errand done, ykwim? They still surprise me all the time....today DD2 spoke out in a group of strangers and you could have knocked me over with a feather. DD1 on the other hand, wouldn't say a word even though I expected her to be more verbal in that scenario. Who can figure them out?

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    We've been trying to give the girls more "single kid" time in hopes that it helps with DD2's tantrums. Today DH took DD1 to Home Depot and I took DD2 to Costco. Both errands we needed to run.

DD2 was VERY quiet the whole trip. And she's usually our chatterbox.

DH reported that DD1 was VERY CHATTY the entire trip, and she's usually our quiet one.

I got home first with DD2. She was very quiet...until DH got home with DD1. DD2 jumped up and yelled "DD1!! DD1!!" And then she perked up.

I thought it was sweet that DD2 missed her sister so much and funny that DD1 loved her alone time without her sister. I worry a little though because I don't want DD2 to become dependent on DD1.

Just thought it'd be fun to share thoughts/experiences!
    Are you sure you didn't switch DDs? I'm just kidding!! Please don't hit me!!

I don't have twins, so I can't share experience. But I find your story to be very interesting.

I guess I can share that my DS tends to dominate conversations around here. DD is much more talkative when he is not around because she doesn't have to compete. They are 3 1/2 years apart, but I would guess most sibling groups have the "dominant" ones and the more "submissive" ones.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"