Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Luggage in NYC

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OP where are you staying in Manhattan? Depending on where you are staying, and where you come in, you can maybe walk to your hotel and not worry about Uber or the subway. Any reason you are parking in NJ before coming into the city other than parking price? You could also park around Westchester NY and take the train into Grand Central. That is convenient if you are staying in midtown. Also, have you checked those parking apps that find you the cheapest parking in your destination? We’ve used that successfully in Chicago before. Also, if you are parking outside the city to save money, make sure you calculate the cost of parking in NJ, train tickets and subway/Uber. You would be surprised how quickly it all adds up.

We are a family of 6 and have used Uber XL successfully in other big cities. Usually a large suburban type SUV. IME it is easy and convenient, and better than traveling via subway with luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by cuca_ View Post
    OP where are you staying in Manhattan? Depending on where you are staying, and where you come in, you can maybe walk to your hotel and not worry about Uber or the subway. Any reason you are parking in NJ before coming into the city other than parking price? You could also park around Westchester NY and take the train into Grand Central. That is convenient if you are staying in midtown. Also, have you checked those parking apps that find you the cheapest parking in your destination? We’ve used that successfully in Chicago before. Also, if you are parking outside the city to save money, make sure you calculate the cost of parking in NJ, train tickets and subway/Uber. You would be surprised how quickly it all adds up.
    This is such good advice about parking. We have successfully used the Icon parking web site to find parking deals in NYC and it usually costs us less to park (plus tolls) than it would for all of us to take the train.
    https://iconparkingsystems.com/searc...uare/daily/web

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    We had both the Lyft and Uber apps installed on both our phones and have used both services to tote 5 people around San Diego and San Fran. We didn't have luggage either time though. (one we had a car at the hotel, another we took the subway directly to the hotel) You'd be amazed at how many more vehicles have a 3rd row these days!!!

Have you outlined your trip somewhere and can I copy it? I think we are going to go to NYC for 4 days this summer... and if we drive we will park and take the train.
    Yep, I have an itinerary listed here. https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...-NYC-itinerary

We are a family of 6 and have used Uber XL successfully in other big cities. Usually a large suburban type SUV. IME it is easy and convenient, and better than traveling via subway with luggage.
    We are staying Thursday night in Jersey City and then going to Statue of LIberty from there on Friday. We'll leave luggage at the hotel or in our car. I figured since we were already parked, it would be easiest to just do PATH to WTC and then the subway. Maybe we should instead drive into Manhattan? I'm open to that. I don't have any parking apps, but will look into them.

We are staying the next 4 nights at Courtyard by Marriott at 3rd Ave and E 53rd St.

I figure the cost of the train isn't too much and then we will buy an unlimited subway pass, so not too much cost, really. Looks like an additional $27.50 in train costs, RT.

I guess part of why I thought we'd stay parked in NJ is that I always hear driving in Manhattan is difficult. But, maybe it is better. We'd be able to bring more things, like extra shoes. So how bad is it? We live in a semi-rural area. Technically we are metro Detroit, but really on the edge. DS1 has done a total of 8 hours of driving and has stopped for deer, ducks, sandhill cranes, and a turkey in the road . DH is from Boston, but hasn't lived there in over 20 years. So, we are really not used to driving in a city or city traffic. So, how long would it take us to drive from Jersey City to our hotel? Probably about 6-7pm or so, I'd guess and on a Friday. And then to leave for home maybe mid-afternoon on a Tuesday.
    Kris

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Luggage in NYC

If the train is only $27 for all of you, then you are better off doing that. I was thinking Metro North fares. Driving in Manhattan is not bad, in my experience, but I would think you would hit a lot of traffic around 6-7 pm in the city.

I think you could probably navigate the subway with a couple of roller bags and backpacks. I’ve done it with strollers before — not fun, but doable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    This is such good advice about parking. We have successfully used the Icon parking web site to find parking deals in NYC and it usually costs us less to park (plus tolls) than it would for all of us to take the train.
    https://iconparkingsystems.com/searc...uare/daily/web
    So the price of parking varies by a lot. $140 to $240. How do you pick which is the best place? Solely on price or location or something else?
    Kris

We use Uber XL all the time and did in NYC too. We use to to go to the airport piled high with luggage. NYC has Juno too and many same drivers but slightly cheaper and they get a better cut. Cabs were awful in NYC and we gave up with one dangerous minivan cab the concierge ordered as no working seatbelts for kids!!! I said no bleeping way and back to premium Uber. We had some fantastic Uber XL drivers in NYC. And DC too. Family of five that seems incapable of traveling light. The subways aren’t reliable either in NYC and they aren’t like the Paris metro or London and not conducive for luggage at all. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

As far as luggage in NYC, I would go with wheely bags. When you are tired of carrying the duffle bags, you are not going to want to put them down on the dirty street or subway train floor. We travel with a 21 inch wheeled bag and backpack for each adult and child with everyone responsible for their backpack and bag. Backpacks can rest on top of the wheeled bag. As far as driving in Manhattan, I live 12 miles west. I drive in Philly and DC, but I do not drive in Manhattan! I don’t know how old your children are, but unless they are teens, I think navigating subway stairs with luggage might be difficult. Once you are settled in your hotel, the subway will be an efficient way to navigate the city. I’m going to throw another option into the mix. Leave your car in JC and take the NY Waterway Ferry into midtown. It’s not the cheapest option, but I think it’s the most stress free and fun for the kids! Download the NY Waterway App. I believe there will be a discount for riders this summer due to train track repairs. There are 3 ferry terminals in JC. When you get off the ferry, there are free buses which will take you close to your destination. There are maps on the app which show the routes. Buses are labeled and the drivers are helpful in making sure you are on the correct bus.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I guess part of why I thought we'd stay parked in NJ is that I always hear driving in Manhattan is difficult. But, maybe it is better. We'd be able to bring more things, like extra shoes. So how bad is it? We live in a semi-rural area. Technically we are metro Detroit, but really on the edge. DS1 has done a total of 8 hours of driving and has stopped for deer, ducks, sandhill cranes, and a turkey in the road . DH is from Boston, but hasn't lived there in over 20 years. So, we are really not used to driving in a city or city traffic. So, how long would it take us to drive from Jersey City to our hotel? Probably about 6-7pm or so, I'd guess and on a Friday. And then to leave for home maybe mid-afternoon on a Tuesday.
    Driving in NYC is annoying, but not horrible if you hit the right time of day. Just be patient and take a peek at NYC's traffic laws. Big ones to be aware of are the "don't block the box" in stopped traffic at intersections and whether or not it's OK to make a right on red. Be aware of pedestrians and cyclists - there are a lot of bike lanes - and take your time.

Manhattan is a grid, so if you miss your turn, you can usually go a block or two and you'll be able to turn in the correct direction. I use the Google Maps app with a lot of success, though I prefer not to drive in NYC if I can help it. (I learn a place better if I walk it, and I've been walking it since college. There are still a few gaps in my mental map, but I feel confident enough about getting from point A to point B these days that I don't stress.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

[QUOTE=HannaAddict;4335760]... Cabs were awful in NYC ...[QUOTE]

I hate taking cabs.

Also, I'm cheap, so it's the subway or walking for me!

The subways aren’t reliable either in NYC and they aren’t like the Paris metro or London and not conducive for luggage at all. Good luck.
    Depending on what your definition of "reliable" is, this can be very true or it can roll off your back.

For me, "reliable" means I can get where I'm headed in a reasonable amount of time during non-peak (non-rush-hour) times. However, I only use a few lines and they haven't been impacted by the ongoing system-wide construction. Yet.

Of course, I don't usually have timed tickets to get anywhere, so I'm probably a lot more flexible.

I agree that the older subway cars are not at all like London's system, but newer ones have a little more breathing room.

I've taken a full-size roller bag (plus DD in carrier, plus diaper bag, plus backpack & laptop) on the subways before and agree it's a hassle. I've also done a backpack and large rolling duffel ... and it's definitely not fun. Especially for exiting stations! (Not every station has a non-turnstile or non-revolving door exit. It's really frustrating!)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

So we are going to drive in. The Icon Parking has a variety of parking locations and different prices. They vary from $160 to $340 within just a few blocks of our hotel. Okay just to pick the cheapest?

We'll plan on coming in after dinner for sure, so hopefully traffic won't be awful. The train/subway option was 30-40 minutes, so even if it takes that long driving, we haven't lost time. Driving through a tunnel sounds awful to me, but I imagine I will live. I haven't done the tunnel from Detroit to Canada in years because it just feels wrong and I much prefer the bridge.

Leaving to come home doesn't look bad and will likely save us time from going back to NJ to get the car. We can just go north towards the Bronx to get away from the city and then hit a freeway.
    Kris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2