Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Driving and Parking in NYC

I have a few specific questions, so I am starting a new thread.

If I reserve parking through Icon Parking, how do I know if it's valet? If it is valet, can I get to my car once it's parked? Or not until we leave.

If it is valet, can you walk me through it? Is there a place to pull over to unload us and the luggage?

I've read driving tips (most start with 'don't do it'), and see the there is no turn on red, don't stop in the intersection, but anything else?
    Kris

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Almost all parking in NYC is valet of some form in my experience. They are constantly shuffling cars around and putting them in elevators and stashing them in places I couldn’t get into.

I’m not sure what Icon parking is.. Do you need parking for a short period or a long period. I used Spot Hero when I got to NYC and usually find a place within a block of my hotel that is much cheaper than hotel that you reserve and pay online. We just onload then one of us goes to park the car. It usually does not have in/out privileges, but most places don’t unles you are paying $70/day.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Almost all parking in NYC is valet of some form in my experience. They are constantly shuffling cars around and putting them in elevators and stashing them in places I couldn’t get into.

I’m not sure what Icon parking is.. Do you need parking for a short period or a long period. I used Spot Hero when I got to NYC and usually find a place within a block of my hotel that is much cheaper than hotel that you reserve and pay online. We just onload then one of us goes to park the car. It usually does not have in/out privileges, but most places don’t unles you are paying $70/day.
    Icon is the company name. Someone here linked me to them to find spots to reserve ahead of time.

We need 4 days. It looks like $200 total is about what I am expecting. That's $160 plus $10/day for oversized. We don't need in/out, just wondering how to unload, etc. Never did valet before.
    Kris

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would unload at the hotel, then go park. With most garages you pull into the garage then there will be signs directing you where to go. You typically pull up to an area then get out and an attendant takes keys, gives you a claim check then you are on the way. You will not be able to access car unless garage states that you can do in/out. You will be able to unload in garage if you don’t want to do it at hotel. Plan for it to take a while to get your car when you are ready to leave... I usually call in advance before heading to garage. Don’t leave anything of value in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I would unload at the hotel, then go park. With most garages you pull into the garage then there will be signs directing you where to go. You typically pull up to an area then get out and an attendant takes keys, gives you a claim check then you are on the way. You will not be able to access car unless garage states that you can do in/out. You will be able to unload in garage if you don’t want to do it at hotel. Plan for it to take a while to get your car when you are ready to leave... I usually call in advance before heading to garage. Don’t leave anything of value in the car.
    When I look at the street view of the hotel, I don't see anywhere to unload, except stopping in the street. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spots. So, we get things to our room and then move the car to the lot? Or does one of us have to haul the luggage and the other navigate on their own to the garage?

Parking is really stressing me out! And the subway. And so much. I hope we make it!
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The subway is SO easy! I promise! There's really nothing scary about it.

Parking- every hotel has a place where they assume you'll pull over and unload- consider that most people arrive via taxi and have to unload.

You have enough kid helpers- all of you unload and get to the desk while the other moves the car. You will not have time to check in and go to your room while you leave your car on the street. I can't think of any hotel- even in the middle of nowhere- where you can leave your car in front then check in and retrieve your car. You'll be fine.

You can always work with (and tip) the doorman to help you, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    When I look at the street view of the hotel, I don't see anywhere to unload, except stopping in the street. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spots. So, we get things to our room and then move the car to the lot? Or does one of us have to haul the luggage and the other navigate on their own to the garage?

Parking is really stressing me out! And the subway. And so much. I hope we make it!
    You just pull up right by the hotel entrance to unload. I do it all the time whenever we drive to stay in the city, then continue on to parking garage to park for the entire stay. DH usually handles that while I go check in for our room with the kids and luggage.

It’s very simple, I promise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    The subway is SO easy! I promise! There's really nothing scary about it.

Parking- every hotel has a place where they assume you'll pull over and unload- consider that most people arrive via taxi and have to unload.

You have enough kid helpers- all of you unload and get to the desk while the other moves the car. You will not have time to check in and go to your room while you leave your car on the street. I can't think of any hotel- even in the middle of nowhere- where you can leave your car in front then check in and retrieve your car. You'll be fine.

You can always work with (and tip) the doorman to help you, if needed.
    Lol. Most of the hotels we go to have a canopy to pull in under and we go inside, check in, and then park near the door close to our room.

I know we can do the subway. We lived through DC with it just fine
    Kris

Picture on the Marriott website: https://cache.marriott.com/marriotta...nsize=1440px:*

I hope that works. So, just stop in front and hop out (into traffic). Traffic will just go around us as we unload the trunk?
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hop out onto the curb side but yes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast