Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't foresee anything changing for me for quite some time. I won't feel comfortable until many people are vaccinated, and here is Los Angeles, that is going to take quite some time (possibly not until 2022!). I don't live near my family, so not seeing them is nothing new. I do hope we can return to some sort of in person schooling in the fall though. Someday I want to go out and eat inside at a restaurant (I won't even eat outside at a restaurant), but until then I will just continue to do pick up and delivery.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    It's possible that I've never been to what counts as a crowded playground in southern California. But it's hard for me to imagine a playground I wouldn't be comfortable at at this point. I think the risk of outdoor transmission with universal masking is incredibly low. The playground would have to be so crowded that it had lines to climb the slide, and even then I think I'd be fine. I really don't care if other people are gathering in groups, as it doesn't affect my risk if I'm not in that group? (I do care, in a general "this is bad for society" type of way, but not in a "this is dangerous to me and I need to leave" way)
    The park by my house is fine, not too many people and spread out. The playground we were riding by is in Griffith Park, our version of Central Park. Some tables you could see were one family, others had 20-30 people for a birthday party eating together. Kids were waiting their turn on the swings etc. it was super packed and not everyone had masks. This was during the order to not get together with people outside your house. And people wonder why Covid numbers skyrocketed!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I don't foresee anything changing for me for quite some time. I won't feel comfortable until many people are vaccinated, and here is Los Angeles, that is going to take quite some time (possibly not until 2022!). I don't live near my family, so not seeing them is nothing new. I do hope we can return to some sort of in person schooling in the fall though. Someday I want to go out and eat inside at a restaurant (I won't even eat outside at a restaurant), but until then I will just continue to do pick up and delivery.
    I'm with you on all of this. I'm glad that things seem to be better in other places, but it's still terrible here right now.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It doesn't change much of anything until we get more people vaccinated AND people are continuing to follow covid precautions like masks, distancing, avoiding large gatherings and handwashing.

DH and I are both HCP, we get our second dose next week. I feel like it changes nothing, except that if WE get it, we will hopefully have a less severe form of covid. My kids have been in-person this entire school year, I still do not feel comfortable seeing my at-risk parents or any of my church friends who are older and also at-risk. The only people I have gotten together with are 1-1 friends when the weather was warmer and we'd go on a walk together. That is basically it. The vaccine doesn't mean you won't carry the virus, so you can still infect someone else unintentionally.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As most of you know, I live in a CCRC, so both residents and staff are pretty high on the vaccine list. Thanks to both an on-campus mass vaccine event and earlier opportunities at local healthcare systems, nearly all residents and maybe 3/4 of staff have already received their first dose of the vaccine. In the next 2 weeks, most of us will have our second dose.

This is both a good thing and a real challenge. The messaging challenge comes because some folks think that all bets are off and they can now do whatever they want, including inviting young family and friends to come visit them. Many of us realize that we will still need to follow the fundamental precautions (masks, distancing, etc). I know as we get farther out from the second dose date, there will be increasing pressure to reopen the dining room and other public areas.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It won't change much here at least until ds (15) can be vaccinated. He has asthma and I am concerned that there are kids who do get Covid bad or have the after-disease. Of course, i care about others outside of my family who wont be vaccinated as well, but would just continue to mask and be careful, but I don't want to have to mask and avoid possible spread in my own home.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I'm sorry. That's ridiculous and sad. People don't get COVID from the park
    When the parks get crowded and people don’t wear masks, they sure can get Covid. Southern California has been a hot spot, to the level of extra morgue trucks, and closing parks is one way to control people who gather and don’t take precautions. If people were as reasonable as on this board, you’d be right about unnecessary to close parks but sadly, the safety and community conscious folks here aren’t the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travel. We miss traveling and exploring and we are lucky to travel quite a bit so it has been a big change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My own DH and kids are doing alright. It's my big extended family that I am concerned about and miss. Relatives and friends providing medical care for COVID19 patients are all so exhausted, either working or sleeping, and the mental toll is very apparent. It's impacting their spouses and kids, too. I want to meet up with relatives for family dinners and talk over a glass of wine while our kids hang out. I can't wait to see our best friends' new baby! Get back to my mom group that I've known since our high schoolers were in kindergarten together! I want to be able to plan group vacations again. And travel travel travel! I also look forward to teaching in person without the threat of the kids being super spreaders. I don't see any of this happening soon, but the more people get vaccinated the lighter the strain on our healthcare workers. That will be SO good!

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    This is both a good thing and a real challenge. The messaging challenge comes because some folks think that all bets are off and they can now do whatever they want, including inviting young family and friends to come visit them. Many of us realize that we will still need to follow the fundamental precautions (masks, distancing, etc). I know as we get farther out from the second dose date, there will be increasing pressure to reopen the dining room and other public areas. Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Yup. My aunt posted today on FB that she is excited to start seeing friends because she is getting her FIRST shot soon!

My mother was telling me yesterday about her trip to the church 2nd hand store where she scored a bargain of a belt. I told her 'You're supposed to be STAYING HOME' "But its boring" was her response. "Plus, I got my 1st shot. " She's on dialysis, has lung and heart damage AND is 75!

I think for myself, it wont matter much since dh and my kids wont get the shot anytime soon. But mentally, it will be less taxing when I have to go to the grocery store and worry about whether someone is walking too close to me.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast