Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default birth without epidural after pitocin

If you have had your labor induced and then delivered without getting an epidural--I want to hear your story!

I am 34 weeks right now and have always been planning an unmedicated birth using hypnobirthing. My Ob/GYN informed me yesterday that he may want to induce labor depending on the results of the next ultrasound in 2 weeks because he thinks my baby's intrauterine growth may be restricted.

I have heard from my friends the horror stories about how pitocin can cause incredibly strong and unreal contractions and I'm worried that I won't be able to do it without an epidural. BTW, this is my first so I have no idea what to expect at all.

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    If you have had your labor induced and then delivered without getting an epidural--I want to hear your story!

I am 34 weeks right now and have always been planning an unmedicated birth using hypnobirthing. My Ob/GYN informed me yesterday that he may want to induce labor depending on the results of the next ultrasound in 2 weeks because he thinks my baby's intrauterine growth may be restricted.

I have heard from my friends the horror stories about how pitocin can cause incredibly strong and unreal contractions and I'm worried that I won't be able to do it without an epidural. BTW, this is my first so I have no idea what to expect at all.
    I was induced with my first (he was 2 weeks overdue and measuring large) and didn't have an epidural. Having had a second with no medication at all, I can say that in my experience, neither was necessarily more or less painful, but with my second, I stayed out of the hospital much longer and labored in the comfort of my home. With both, I took prenatal yoga and with my first, a natural childbirth prep class.

In the hospital after being induced, I did get up and walk around as needed and I wasn't hooked up to the monitor at all times (they just checked when they needed to so I could move around).

Curious to know whether your friends with the horror stories delivered w/o an epidural or if they had prepared for a natural birth? Preparation is so important, IMO - if you want a natural birth and take classes, read books (Ina May is awesome!) and learn proper breathing techniques and positioning to find comfort, you set yourself up for a much better chance of having a natural childbirth.

Believe in yourself, seek support from women who have delivered naturally don't watch any TV shows about birth and read natural birth positive birth stories. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Congratulations on your upcoming birth!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsWeGo View Post
    Curious to know whether your friends with the horror stories delivered w/o an epidural or if they had prepared for a natural birth? Preparation is so important, IMO - if you want a natural birth and take classes, read books (Ina May is awesome!) and learn proper breathing techniques and positioning to find comfort, you set yourself up for a much better chance of having a natural childbirth.
    100% agree. So many women go in with no preparation. They might say they want med free but I think it can be a lot harder for them to reach that goal if they don't have the tools to do it. Support is key as well! I watched some cable birth shows recently and was so annoyed with the "support" people in there that didn't know what was going on. Sometimes you need someone there to remind you to get out of bed and sit on the ball or move around in other ways. Or to just encourage you. The people on the shows that rolled their eyes or just kept saying, "get the meds., why be in pain?" just had to make it that much tougher for those women. Write down a list of things you can try just in case you need some tools in addition to hypnobirthing so you have ideas to pull from. Ask for a nurse with experience in unmedicated birth and that supports it. There are usually a handful that do but the rest aren't as comfortable with it. If you have a doula, even better. Have your partner read Penny Simkin's "The Birth Partner" ahead of time.

Keep your water in tact, if possible, to make the contx a little less strong. Ask for monitor cords long enough that you can move.

End of the day though, do what is necessary at the moment. Don't beat yourself up if an epidural ends up being in the cards. It's ok to be disappointed though and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You have a goal/ dream and it's ok to feel disappointed/ sad if it doesn't work out. But you'll know if you made the best possible decision at that moment and that will mean a lot.

GL!!

Beth

You can do it. I have heard several stories of pit induced labors where Mom did not have an epidural. I would make sure I had great labor support if I were in your position. A Doula or a Doula in Training (who may do it for free/reduced cost) will help. Best wishes for an easy birth, congratulations.
    Proud Military Spouse and Mom of Four.

DD (02/03) Born in a military hospital.
    DS (05/05) Born in a birth center.
    DS (12/07) Born at HOME!
    DS (09/09) Born at HOME!

Roni is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I've done it twice. The really painful part only lasted about half an hour. The first time was kind of by accident--I was about to get an epidural when the baby decided to come. Had I known how fast it would be, I wouldn't have even asked for an epidural, but I went from 6 cm to 10 really fast. The second time I did it was a bit harder (7 years later!) because it took more pushes, but I knew I could do it. With both of those labors I spent a lot of time in the whirpool and did really well managing those contractions.

With my first I had an epidural because I was having back labor and started to vomit. With the third, I did vomit but wasn't so upset about it, & I just dealt with it.

The nurses and te Dr. were awesome for my last birth. I only did a really quick review class because I thought I was having a c-section, but they were so good about leading me through it.

ANother thing that was cool was that I had my old birthing tapes with me, and it was music that I hadn't heard in a while. It was so soothing. THe nurse was enjoying it, too. The cassette player ateone of my tapes, but I had a couple different ones. I also listened to a nice CD that the hospital had. So, good music helps a lot!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had an induction and didn't have contractions I could feel without the pit.

I didn't feel that the contractions were all that bad until my water was broken! (Of course, I didn't have contractions without the pit, so YMMV.)

I did not prepare for delivery at all, which, in retrospect, was a mistake, but the circumstances surrounding my DD's heart defect made it difficult to discuss any planning with my DH at all.

For our 2nd, I'd like to go back to my original plan of taking Bradley classes for the self-study and partner-involvement aspects and attempt a VBAC.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

PPs brought up some great points-

Birth Plan - review it with your Dr., make sure the hospital has a copy on file, bring one with you and have the Nurses review.

Doula - if you don't already have one, it's not too late - amazing support!

Support partners - whoever is in the room with you should know what your wishes are and should support you. Only you know what you are going through, but they can offer reassurance, gentle words, touch - just when you think you can't do it, someone telling you you are doing great and you can do it can make all the difference.

Water - if you have access to a whirlpool or shower/tub at the hospital, use it! Water can really help alleviate pain.

I was induced and after 5 hours of contractions every minute I gave up and begged for the epidural. It didn't immediately work and even after 2 boosters it only made me tingly numb from the waist down, not the top of the uterus down.

I never dilated past a 3 until I got the epidural. That was mainly because DS was laying with his head wedged against my pelvic bone and no matter what we tried, refused to roll over. The epidural relaxed us both enough that he rolled over, I dilated from a 3 to a 10 and after only 20 minutes of pushing he was born. I then immediately asked for them to remove the epidural but the darn side effects took almost 12 hours to wear off!

I was bound and determined to do it naturally...had gone to a natural labor class, watched movies, read books, had long conversations with my midwives about my birth plan and felt like a failure that it didn't happen. I am also 34 wks and am once again determined to do it naturally! Just be open-minded if your plan goes totally out the window. The main part is the end result...holding your beautiful new baby in your arms for the first time!

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I didn't have pitocin but had 2 natural births. The first was quite by accident. I progressed too quickly and all the while, the contractions were bearable so I didn't feel the need for the epidural. Before I knew it, it was time to push. I agree that prep is essential. I only took a basic childbirth class but our instructor was really good. I studied her notes copiously, even while in labor! Breathing techniques really helped and focus during the contraction. If you want ppl to be quiet or whatever else, speak up and let them know. Be as verbal as you can/want to be.

But like everyone said, be prepared and open to changing your plans. At the end of the day, you just need to get the baby out. Don't feel defeated if it doesn't go the way you wanted it.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have been taking a hypnobirthing class and that has helped me feel really confident that I could do a natural birth, but they stress so much the part about not laying in bed--walking around, getting a birth ball, doing squats, being in the water. But I was told that if I get induced with pitocin, I will attached to an IV line and required to lay in bed the entire time so that pretty much throws out the window all of the techniques I was going to use. Except the music, I will of course have my CDs the whole time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast