Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: College move-in

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default College move-in

How did you/are you doing the college move-in? Flying or driving? Both parents or one? Additional kids coming with or staying home?

DS1 moves to college in a few weeks-we still can't plan because they haven't released the dorm assignments and move-in appointments yet, so we only know the 3 day range that the appointment will be in. We'll drive, it's about 7 hours each way & we need to take his bike. But DS2 is already in school and does not do well at all with changes in routine, he does not want to miss school, so we need to leave him at home. But our options for taking care of him here at home if both DH&I go to move in are sparse. I'm trying to figure this out and would appreciate hearing about your logistics...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Such a great question. I really want to go, but DH is planning on going and I don't know if I can leave the rest of my little ones. And also with my current injury I don't know how I'll function. I am just imagining DH setting up DS1 in his dorm and I know I could do it better, lol. We would definitely drive.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Such a great question. I really want to go, but DH is planning on going and I don't know if I can leave the rest of my little ones. And also with my current injury I don't know how I'll function. I am just imagining DH setting up DS1 in his dorm and I know I could do it better, lol. We would definitely drive.
    Lol, yeah I think if DH goes alone, several things will come back home with him because he is terrible at organizing and wouldn't know where to put things or why I bought some things.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d totally drive unless you’ve been buying stuff with the flying assumption all along. Our car is full on move in day!
    I would plan to spend the night.
    Is there anyone that can help with ds2? I really liked both taking ds1 to school and would hate to miss that if at all possible.
    Since that first move in, we have only just done 1 parent and it’s been fine. Remember to have the bedding stuff on the top of the pile and make the bed asap so you can pile stuff up on it- makes life easier. Or maybe that was a problem more specific to ds1’s tiny room

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It’s really all up to you and your DS’s preference. We didn’t see a lot of siblings at move in, but there definitely were some there. And some students had two parents there and some had one. International students didn’t have any parents with them.

My DS prefers to say goodbye to siblings at home and to keep it simple at move in. First year both DH and I went for move in. Due to Covid closures, it was also the first time the three of us had seen the campus. DS didn’t really need both of us there. This year DH went back with him, and I’m going to fly out later for Parents Weekend.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS1 and I drove about 825 miles. He moved in the next day and then I stayed 2 additional days. I would have been fine but there was an event I wanted to attend on the second day. DH has never been there yet but will see t at Thanksgiving. My other kids had their own things going on so bringing all of us just didn't make sense. they too will see the college at Thanksgiving and I think that is fine.

We saw a few siblings there but most seemed to be there with jst 1 parent.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Kris

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For DS1 last year both DH and I went. DS2 stayed home with my mom as he had already started school and we wanted all our focus on DS1. We flew as DS1's school is 1000 miles away. DH and I stayed for a full 4 days. It was the first time DH had seen the school and they had a full day and a half of parent orientation and welcoming immediately after move in. For the days before move in we did some shopping in the larger city we flew into as DS1's school is in a small town with no Target or Asian markets (where he likes to get his snacks). We were able to share several meals with DS, run errands together, explore the town, attend the freshman welcoming ceremony, and buy him a bike. It was a great transition. DS goes back for his sophomore year in 10 days and will be heading back on his own.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DH and I both went UF is about 2hr 45 from us We helped set up his room make his bed stock his fridge etc His roommate moved in later yesterday he had his dorm and roommate assignment last month they were talking to get to know each other
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DH, my 2 younger kids and I all went to move my DS into his dorm for his first year last year. It’s a 6 hour drive and my kids are all very close so it was a nice family trip to see off my DS. This year just DH and I are driving up with DS, we’re leaving the other 2 at home so they can take care of the animals, plus they have other things going on. I don’t think DH or I will ever miss any of these move-ins, we really enjoy being there and spending time with DS helping him move in and I like to see his home each year.

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

All five of us flew there (800+ miles away). We purchased large items when we were there for orientation and stored them in a storage facility. We brought clothes/shoes/etc. in suitcases ($30 checked one way for a bag up to 50 pounds). DH and I moved her in during her 1-hour time slot while the younger siblings stayed back at the Airbnb. I booked 5 round trip tickets, and just called the airline for a credit for her return ticket two days before we flew home. Good luck!
    Last edited by athompson; 08-19-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast