Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Tell me about your WEEKEND routine!

I've read so many articles about the "morning routines" of high achievers. There are four or five key strategies that I feel like every successful person utilizes to make the most of their mornings. I feel like I "get" what makes a morning successful. I want to know what successful families do on weekends! I'd love to hear about your weekends and if you feel like they are successful--or not and what makes them so. I'm wondering if there are some generalizations that make a great weekend routine or if weekends are just entirely different for every person/family. So please share!

For me personally, I like structure. Weekends with my big family should be marvelous but instead they are hard. The week overwhelms me and I like to work all day Saturday on house work and projects which means that my kids are not that productive because they need my time and attention. If we have try to have a "fun" weekend instead then I feel behind all week. I'm torn between focusing solely on the kids and on work. And then there is a further division--should I be educating and training the kids or should we be having fun?

One thing that might make our weekends look different is that Sundays are rather strictly observed here. We attend church most weeks (we skip if we feel like there are COVID issues that would make that unsafe) on Sunday but we also get to relax and spend time as a family. We don't shop, work, or do a lot of big recreational activities on Sundays in our quest to "make it holy". That leaves one weekend day to be everything else.

I'd love to hear what is working (or not!) for you! TIA!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ha, I don't care about structure on weekends and if we don't have some type of scheduled activity then anything goes! I hate mornings so sleep in till 11:30am or later. I don't make breakfast on weekends (I do daily on school days) so DS2 fends for himself. I also don't cook dinner on weekends usually since I do that on weekdays too and DH is supposed to do dinner on weekends (which he usually "forgets" every week). After I roll out of bed at noon and get my coffee, I usually get into the jacuzzi until dinner! Anyone is free to join me. DS2 can play PS5 on weekends (not on school days) and is supposed to be off by 3pm. I do all my errands and laundry during the week (except for my bed linens which I usually do on Sat) so don't have much to do on weekends.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

"I've read so many articles about the "morning routines" of high achievers. There are four or five key strategies that I feel like every successful person utilizes to make the most of their mornings. I feel like I "get" what makes a morning successful. I want to know what successful families do on weekends! I'd love to hear about your weekends and if you feel like they are successful--or not and what makes them so. I'm wondering if there are some generalizations that make a great weekend routine or if weekends are just entirely different for every person/family. So please share!"

I have zero goals like that for how we spend our down time. Everyone works hard all week long. If we don't have activities then we have some weekends that are lazy and some that are busy. There's no standard weekend or routine. If there's yard work to be done, we usually all pitch in and work. Things like that. But, if people want to veg and take a well deserved rest, I have no problems with that. I would think a successful person understand the importance of balance and doesn't need to be go, go ,go all the time to feel successful.

. It seems like your Sundays would be fun. wouldn't they? No chores, no errands...so get your stuff done on Saturday- all going your separate ways and letting people figure out how they want to spend their downtime- and then on Sunday you do the fun stuff. Or is fun not allowed? Is it a day of somber reflection? I grew up going to church on Sunday mornings then continuing on with normal life so I
    m not sure what your observance means to you.

I think there's a lot to be gained by letting people choose their path and what makes them feel good. Maybe they don't care about being productive every day. Maybe they need to recharge. I have gotten better over the years of reading my people. I used to have a checklist of things to do to make our weekends feel special but I can tell that my people are super happy watching tv, putzing around on projects of their choice, playing video games, napping. If they only get 1-2 days/ week to not have school, work, activities then I try and let them have that even if I get some FOMO looking on social media of my friends having super adventures.

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I've read so many articles about the "morning routines" of high achievers. There are four or five key strategies that I feel like every successful person utilizes to make the most of their mornings. I feel like I "get" what makes a morning successful. I want to know what successful families do on weekends! I'd love to hear about your weekends and if you feel like they are successful--or not and what makes them so. I'm wondering if there are some generalizations that make a great weekend routine or if weekends are just entirely different for every person/family. So please share!

For me personally, I like structure. Weekends with my big family should be marvelous but instead they are hard. The week overwhelms me and I like to work all day Saturday on house work and projects which means that my kids are not that productive because they need my time and attention. If we have try to have a "fun" weekend instead then I feel behind all week. I'm torn between focusing solely on the kids and on work. And then there is a further division--should I be educating and training the kids or should we be having fun?

One thing that might make our weekends look different is that Sundays are rather strictly observed here. We attend church most weeks (we skip if we feel like there are COVID issues that would make that unsafe) on Sunday but we also get to relax and spend time as a family. We don't shop, work, or do a lot of big recreational activities on Sundays in our quest to "make it holy". That leaves one weekend day to be everything else.

I'd love to hear what is working (or not!) for you! TIA!
    Like you, we try to keep Sundays holy. We attend a church where the mass begins at 1pm. That means, most Sundays we all enjoy sleeping in, having brunch together, and leisurely getting ready. My boys do readings and are alter servers so sometimes we get there a little early and chat with other churchgoers while they prepare. Activities creep into Sunday’s despite our best efforts. All the BSA scout meetings happen Sunday evening.

Saturdays are very similar to weekday evenings for us. Dh and (and now our 2 drivers) spend the day driving to activities. When dd isn’t in dance class or at a scout function she is helping me with the church group I lead. Dh and our oldest 2 manage their school’s autoclub when they aren’t at a scout function, downhill skiing, or hanging with friends. Saturdays are just crazy. No real routine here.

Although, I will say that we get a chance as a family to say the rosary together every night and either before or after that we talk about what the next day is going to look like, who needs to drive whom where, what needs to be prepared in advance for upcoming functions, who’s driving who crazy at school, etc. Thats an important part of our routine.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 09-19-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Following this thread with interest. DH and I spend all weekend doing housework, running kids somewhere, and doing take home work to get ready for the work week. DH is a teacher and he’s up by 6/7am weekends in order to do his lesson planning for the week. I’m up at 7am and go for a run at 8am with my friend sat and sun. Right now DD1 has JV soccer practice sat morning and DD2 has fall rec league soccer and games are some time on Saturday but can fall anywhere between 8am-4pm. If we aren’t chauffeuring a kid or watching them play, then it’s laundry, cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, etc. I’d love to be a family that just goes and does fun stuff on a weekend day but then the lawn wouldn’t get mowed and the bathrooms and clothes wouldn’t get cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We are a house full of homebodies. We love reading, doing puzzles and relaxing. We spend our weekends doing as much of that as we can. DH and I get on the treadmill everyday and on the weekends we ask our kids to choose an activity to get our bodies moving. They often choose going for a walk but we sometimes go for a hike or a bike ride. I try to have my kids tackle homework on Friday so we don’t have to worry about that on the weekends. We generally end up busy with activities on Saturday and Sunday is quieter. I do laundry on Sundays if we’re home. It’s easy to do then since we’re mostly home. We try to clean out the fridge on Sunday but otherwise we mostly relax. I do my errands and housecleaning during the week. We have a landscaper to handle outside.

It all boils down to priorities and what is important to each person and to a family as a unit. You need to ask yourself do *you* want to aspire the modeling of the super successful people with productive weekends? Or are you aspiring to it due to undue pressure of feeling you need to put in productive weekend, house, kids fun etc?

This fall is our first year where we’re having both kids in travel sport teams and it’s really kicking our asses every weekend since it started 2 weeks ago. It’ll continue till right up Thanksgiving week, so any free moments we have on weekends is entirely up to each member of my family to do. We’re not particularly religious family, so observing mass and the like isn’t important to us, although our youngest is making communion this Spring. So, it means we’ve to take DS2 to show his face some Sunday’s.

The boys been really wanting to do some fundraising efforts for the families of Hurricane ida victims, as our county was the hardest hit. They came up the idea of doing lemonade stand, made posters, staked out a spot that’s ideal for car/foot traffic. I helped them to set up with table, lemonade, cups, etc and they did the rest. They chose to do that this afternoon after their sport games this morning. We outsource everything possible so we’re not spending our weekends stuck indoors cleaning, taking care of yard work etc so that the little free time we have is our downtime or doing fun activities. It’s very important to me, so i guess that is my hill to die instead of being uber productive every single weekend. We work hard all week with school/work, sports, our volunteer commitments (soup and dog shelters) that i refuse to feel guilty for not being productive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When we don’t have sports on Sat (just a few months of the year) DH goes golfing. DC must do their homework before playing video games. Yard work must be done (mowing, weedeating, weed pulling, raking) before also. Chores like unloading the dishwasher and folding clothes.
    All of this generally takes the whole morning. We like to get take out many Saturdays for lunch or dine in during non pandemic times.

Afternoon is relaxing. Kids play video games, get together with friends, DH watches football or golf or plays more golf sometimes with the kids.

Sunday is church (and more golf lol). Some homework as needed.
    Last edited by KpbS; 09-19-2021 at 06:27 PM.
    K

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Tell me about your WEEKEND routine!

We usually go to church either at 5 :15 pm on Saturday night or either 10:30 am or 5:15 on Sunday; we have been going a lot on Sunday at 5:15.

The rest of the weekend is spent doing house and or yard work, relaxing, or homework. I had been playing tennis from 9-10 am on Saturday at our club, but the club recently changed management and the Saturday tennis clinic hasn’t started again. I also volunteer with the local junior league a few Saturdays a month (we have a diaper bank); Dd1 also occasionally goes with me. I try to do a Peloton workout or two as well. The girls don’t currently have set Saturday activities but have done art class or tennis class. Art for DD2 will start in October, and tennis for DD1 will start again in November or January depending on when DD1 feels like she is okay doing something on Saturday mornings again. She is currently playing high school tennis M-Th, and has a football game for dance on Friday nights. Football goes through the end of October. Basketball will start after tennis and football ends so she will be dancing at home basketball games as well. We don’t know when the basketball games will be yet.

I honestly don’t feel like I get enough done on the weekends and I contribute that to being home all week. I need my downtime and since I am home all
    week too (even though I am working then) I really want to relax on the weekends.

Every so often we go somewhere for a day trip; yesterday we went to the beach, it I do feel like we don’t go out as much as we did pre Covid.

Fwiw: we outsource most yard work (we have a 1/2 acre lot) and the gardener comes weekly; Dh does do trimming of the trees; we have 3 olive trees, an orange and lemon tree. We also have a pool guy who comes once a week. Dh says we will only have the gardener until he retires; we estimate he is in his early 50s (he was recommended by the prior owner and we liked him and with being home all the time we just decided it was one less thing to worry about) and DH says that he will start doing all the yard work then (I highly doubt it though).

We are awful at meal planning. I shop once a week and buy staples and cook what I feel like cooking each night. I need to be better about making the kids fold clothes. We don’t make our kids so enrichment educational work; although they did do Kumon in the past (DD2 through 4th grade, and DD1 did it in 5th and 6th grades). Especially since COVID it just feels counterproductive to make them spend more time inside when they can be outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-20-2021 at 11:49 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Are you looking to be more productive and adopt the habits of "successful" people because you really want to or you feel that you should? It's easy to feel the pressure of staying busy after reading all the books and articles published on the topic but remember, the authors job is to convince you to buy their advice so you read and/or purchase their work. I'm not saying you shouldn't have some goals for the weekend but I work hard to release myself of the guilt these articles invoke in me so I don't feel badly when we simply do what we want on the weekend. Success is measured in many different ways and I'd say you and your family are already successful in most areas that count.

Our family weekends revolve around the kids' activities. Mine all play travel sports so lots of chauffering to and from games and meets. We've been doing this for the last few years so it feels normal. When we are at home, it's household projects, laundry, yardwork, and hanging out. The kids have a few chores, work on homework, and do whatever they want during the rest of the time. I try to do errands and housework during the week. We tend to shirk housework on summer weekends to escape to the boat. I feel zero guilt about spending quality time with my family but it can put me behind. I've dropped my standards during this season of my life, although I fully respect that not everyone is able to do some of that.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast