Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Moving to another country from the US

Moving to another country from the US was mentioned on another thread. For some reason, I feel very vulnerable posting this and worry I will get talked down to (not that I have valid reasons to believe that, just meaning I am hesitant to post about it). However, it is something I am *somewhat* seriously considering and this is still my best place to go online when I am trying to figure out where to get information. I say somewhat considering a move because it is so overwhelming and there are so many difficulties involved. I am not going to go into the reasons why I want to move, as I am not really looking for that kind of advice. I can only say I am someone who really thinks things through, and I would not do anything impulsively.

I have started some research, but feel that I go around and around without knowing how to take clearer steps. Countries that look like they would be remotely possible include Portugal, Costa Rica, and New Zealand (very remotely). We only have US passports and citizenship. I am on some facebook groups and I think that is why I get so overwhelmed...facebook is just an overwhelming, not always accurate way, to obtain info. I think being able to earn money (maybe I could work remotely as a therapist-its something I am researching) and if it would work future-wise for my kids (they are now 16 and 19), who are very willing to go,are huge factors. Of course, the country has to allow us to be there.

I guess I am asking if anyone knows good places to research this or if anyone lives/has lived in one of the countries I mentioned or one that would make sense to consider. I would also love to connect with anyone who is considering this as well.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My brother lived in Portugal for a while, and loved it. He thought it incredibly livable- cheaper than lots of other places in Europe but still loads of charm, amazing towns- very international population. That would be my pick of the countries you mention but I don't have a ton of knowledge on any of them. I have been to Costa Rica several times and loved it, and plenty of expats there for sure. It is a little too outdoorsy/rustic for me, although I am sure that is not the case in San Jose. New Zealand sounds amazing but is just too far - I don't think I could do it, but everyone I know who has been there has been amazed and it certainly has a lot going for it. DH and I used to talk about living abroad all the time, but as we got older became so much more settled and aren't really considering it anymore.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DH would leave in a heartbeat. The current climate (political, educational, etc.) make me consider it. I’m not sure my kids would be fully on board though, leaving school, friends and the town they have lived their whole lives on. We would also not get to see family very much, as many of them
    Don’t like to travel. I also wonder if it’s a case of the grass is always greener on the other side, until you get there. I’m sure other countries have their problems too, but of course it always looks worse in your current place. I love my job and don’t think it is something I could keep doing outside of the country. DH is not worried about him finding work. We’ve also explored a little about retiring abroad. Portugal, Costa Rica, and Panama are places that I’ve read are good to retire to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Many years ago before we had kids, DH and I talked very seriously about moving to Canada. So I understand where you're coming from. The only thing that stopped us was that Canada required you to already have a job there in order to move there, and we just didn't have the means at the time to make that happen.
    I don't really have much advice other than to consider the time difference if you are working remotely with US clients.
    Wishing you much good luck in making things happen the way you'd like.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It’s 100% something I’ve thought about so no judgment here. Dh’s company has offices across the world so we do have a viable path. If the 2024 election puts someone awful in power, I think that will be my go time
    Ds2 just asked last night about moving to a safer country.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

You def aren't alone, I would move in a heartbeat if I could get DH onboard, or just commit to spending an extended period of time someplace to try it out. I know two people who have basically retired to France and Portugal b/c in part it seems b/c of the difficulty in retiring where they were living in the US. The one in France has been there about a decade or more and loves it, the one that moved to Portugal just moved there.

The age of your kids makes it a lot easier imo to imagine a bit change like this. We put off traveling to Europe this year b/c of the pandemic + assumed rush of travelers post pandemic but I'm hoping we can go in the coming years and start thinking more seriously about specific places.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I could easily move to several countries to work.

Portugal is one of few countries that is the *easiest* option to move without requiring special skills, citizenship or heritage path. I would cross out New Zealand as it is not a easy country to immigrate into. But so many Americans are taking advantage of their golden visas, so I wouldn’t be too surprised when Portugal change their requirements.

What about Mexico, if you’re also considering Costa Rica? Your money would go far there and same time zone to give you ease to continue your private practice remotely.

What about splitting your time between here and other country? That is another *easy* option without having to go through lengthy residency or permanent rules of said country.

I’m undergoing lots of changes in my personal life, so this is 100% on my radar. My kids and the custody of coparenting is my biggest barrier, as can’t take my kids out of country without their dad’s consent. I also have easiest viable options to establish residency in any European country as I’m also EU citizen, so I’ll be using the next 10 years while waiting for DS2 to graduate from HS to research, visit, and maybe buy small property. I do plan on splitting my time between here and there with 60/40 ratio of time in each place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One of DH’s unit members lived in Belize. I don’t know what the immigration requirements are, but maybe another possibility?
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the biggest factor to consider is whether it will be feasible to get a work visa in the place you are moving - some countries will let you retire there easily but if you want to work there, it is much more difficult to get a visa. If you are able to work remotely and show proof of income, that might be enough. Or show assets sufficient to support yourself without need for income from the country you are relocating to.

Portugal is super easy to retire to - not as sure if it is easy to get a work visa there because we aren't planning to do that. We own a home there (and have since 2013) and are in the process of getting a Golden Visa, which is based upon either having a certain amount of assets in a bank there, owning property worth a certain amount or starting a business that employs a certain number of Portuguese nationals. In our case, we satisfy it with our property ownership. We never began the process until now because we weren't spending enough time there every year to have it make sense. We can get the kids visa with our visa - even the college aged one. I think they age out at some point and would have to qualify on their own but right now they are all young enough that we can cover them. We just started the process which involves fingerprinting and FBI background checks and a million notarized documents. It takes awhile and the costs are not insubstantial. It is quite a long road as you get your visa, renew it a few times, get residency and ultimately to get citizenship you have to live there and speak proficient Portuguese. There is some talk that they may change the rules to make them more restrictive as so many people are moving into Portugal from other countries now. It is super common to retire there from France and the UK. Americans are now figuring out that it's a good spot too and flocking there. They will shut it down at some point, probably. We plan to spend 4-7 months a year there after DH retires.

We know a few Costa Rican expats who have been there a number of years and have tourism businesses there. It seems like another easy place to go although I don't know the specific ins and outs. If you wanted to go and open a small tourism business I think it would be quite easy to move there and get a visa.

Of your list I think NZ would have the biggest barriers. I believe, like Australia, they have age hurdles after which they won't let you relocate there and need local employment. If you are retiring and can show a certain asset level that assures them you will never need their local services, I think it is still possible but the financial requirement for NZ is a lot higher I think than CR or Portugal. They do not want people taking jobs from locals or needing their health services etc as they age. This is all just word of mouth based on friends who wanted to relocate there and found they missed their window and couldn't meet the higher financial hurdle to come in on a retirement visa.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast