Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    It was something like this:
    A new little baby is entering the world
    And we all need to do our part
    So we want to have a baby sprinkle
    And show some love from the heart.
    We’re all going to help
    And shower them with baby stuff
    Just cash and gift cards will do
    Since they already have enough.
    What would Miss Manners say??
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It was something like this:
    A new little baby is entering the world
    And we all need to do our part
    So we want to have a baby sprinkle
    And show some love from the heart.
    We’re all going to help
    And shower them with baby stuff
    Just cash and gift cards will do
    Since they already have enough.

I can't remember the exact wording of the first line, but when it came in the mail, my DH was mortified (SIL is his sister and his mom wrote the poem).
    Lol, that's pretty horrendous! "...And we all need to do our part..." is probably one of the worst parts. Nobody HAS to give anyone anything when it comes to a baby shower gift, geez!

BabbyO, if you don't feel like having one, don't do it. I think it is sweet that family members are willing to throw you one. Like another pp mentioned, maybe a, "meet the baby" gathering after the baby has arrived may work out better for you.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Kaylee31 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by waitingforgrace View Post
    I personally think it's tacky unless there has been a big age gap and even then it's iffy. However if you're talking about a shower that would be all family and they want to do it I don't see the harm. I just wouldn't invite anyone who wasn't family. I'd want it to be more of a family get together to celebrate the new baby, not so much a shower.
    DS - 07/09 - Mr. Tempermental
    DD - 02/12 - Dollface
    New arrival expected 06/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had a sprinkle for ds2. It was a small gathering and everyone chipped in to get me a gift certificate for something fun that I wanted for the baby ( a new diaper bag). It was perfect. I do think all new babies deserve a celebration. I just wouldn't register and have the same sort of big thing as #1.

Beth

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post
    I see it as a celebration of a new baby, and every new baby deserves a party!
    This. I love going to showers, even for 5th babies!

Yes, my gift for a subsequent shower is likely to be diapers or something. But I still enjoy celebrating

(And sorry, registering for older son's big boy room? Tacky. Whether or not you had a kid you'd be moving him up to a bigger boy room, right?)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

jjordan is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think that every baby deserves a celebration, absolutely.

BUT to call the celebration a "shower" means that it is a celebration for the purpose of giving/receiving gifts. And that, to me, is tacky for a second baby.

If people really *want* to give you a present, then they will, regardless of whether or not they are invited to a shower. So have a list ready so that you can give suggestions when people ask if there's anything you need. But I'd decline the shower. If you want a celebration, I'd suggest that you could have a "welcome baby" party sometime after the baby is born (and write "no gifts please" or something similar on the invitations so people know it's not meant to be a shower).

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    I think that every baby deserves a celebration, absolutely.

BUT to call the celebration a "shower" means that it is a celebration for the purpose of giving/receiving gifts. And that, to me, is tacky for a second baby.

If people really *want* to give you a present, then they will, regardless of whether or not they are invited to a shower. So have a list ready so that you can give suggestions when people ask if there's anything you need. But I'd decline the shower. If you want a celebration, I'd suggest that you could have a "welcome baby" party sometime after the baby is born (and write "no gifts please" or something similar on the invitations so people know it's not meant to be a shower).
    Actually mentioning gifts, even to say "No gifts please" is tacky and improper etiquette.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We didn't have one but in my area it is common to have showers for second babies whether they are 10 yrs. apart, or less than 2 yrs. apart. I went to probably 5 or 6 them for second children in my mom's group, and only two of those moms were having twins; most of the babies were less than 3 yrs. apart. I was a little put off that no one offered to host a shower for me, but I had to let it go. I didn't find out the sex of our baby either so I think that was part of the reason people didn't think to throw us a shower.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-22-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I think perhaps it is regional? In my circle of friends, we do not do showers for 2nd children. I've never even been to a 2nd baby's shower. We typically just visit mom/newborn sometime after baby is born and bring a gift then.

If you aren't comfortable, then don't do it, but if people in your family are insistent, then just keep it small, close family.

Oh and that poem.... horrendous indeed!

Why don't you just do an open house type thing after the baby is born then? Or just say no to your family and tell them you don't want a shower?
    We will be having a big tado after the baby (for the baptism) is born, so maybe we just plan for that.

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    (And sorry, registering for older son's big boy room? Tacky. Whether or not you had a kid you'd be moving him up to a bigger boy room, right?)
    I would NEVER register/ask for things for DS1's new room. That is SUPER tacky! I was just stating that in terms of the new baby, we don't really need much of anything because DS1 & DS2 will be so close in age. The things we do need (for DS1) I wouldn't ask for!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast