Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Vaccine + Medication for Side Effects

I’ll be receiving Dose #2 of the Moderna vaccine tomorrow. I’ve read conflicting information about taking Advil or Aleve to lessen the side effects such as sore arm or headache. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I wonder if the trials were strict about taking medication afterwards? I know some nursing colleagues recommended taking or upping their dose of vitamin D3 prior and during the week after receiving the vaccine.
    Last edited by gamma; 01-22-2021 at 10:27 AM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    ... Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I wonder if the trials were strict about taking medication afterwards? ...
    While I don't have direct experience, my friend S is an OB/GYN and reported her own side-effects from her "booster" dose and she said to take either Advil or Tylenol. For her, personally, she reports that she prefers Tylenol.

I don't know about pre-dosing for pain management, though.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

In case you want to take a deeper dive into this topic, here is a link to an article that describes some studies on antipyretics and vaccines: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...1Zr1l9qQeoBNYk

Bottom line, it isn't generally recommended (talk to your own medical provider for medical advice though) to pre-medicate for vaccines as some studies have shown a blunted antibody response when taken before receiving some vaccines. However, it looks like antipyretics taken after vaccination (at least 4 hours?) do not have this same effect. There is also a note that the blunted antibody response is more often seen in initial vaccinations than boosters. Again, probably best to discuss with your own provider with consideration to your own medical history.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, I've read similar that you should not medicate in advance but can medicate after to reduce any discomfort.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My MD friends are waiting a day (or overnight at least) and then taking Tylenol or Advil.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This post has some info on the topic and links to related studies.

https://dearpandemic.org/fever-reduc...dministration/

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    My MD friends are waiting a day (or overnight at least) and then taking Tylenol or Advil.
    This is what DH did. You want your body to mount a vigorous immune response
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wouldn't take anything before. After all, most people won't have such a bad reaction that they will feel they need to. Both DH and I got our second dose ~2 weeks ago, and neither of us felt like we needed anything. I felt a bit sore, like I had done a hard workout, and I felt really cold that PM, but didn't have a fever. By the next AM I was back to normal and went skiing.

Most people I know who had the vaccine did not need medication around their doses. A few I knew did have significant symptoms - they were all those who had COVID previously. There are definitely some people who have big reactions, but it's not 100% or even 50% so I would definitely hold off on taking anything before.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Medicate after, not before. I will say my 2nd dose side effects hit me after 12+ hours later.

I didn't have any side effects besides sore arm from my second dose (Pfizer) which makes me wonder if that means anything as far as possibly already having had covid... Good luck with your shot!
    I would try to avoid taking anything unless you are pretty miserable.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast