Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I haven't read everyone else's posts yet but I plan to! This is a pet favorite topic of mine. I have a real mix with my kids, 2 of whom are officially ADHD and on meds.

Here's my jumble of thoughts. First, she's 9 so maybe I'm an outlier but I actually DON'T think grades matter yet. My school doesn't even issue letter grades at that age. I DO think that it is important to stay up on certain learning skills and attitudes. My two big goals at this age are to 1. maintain a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and 2. (which probably should be 1) learn to love to read. With that foundation, all the rest can come with more emotional maturity.

I think that I would do all I could to make sure she is fostering a love of reading about whatever she is passionate about. I would use the libraries (ours are remote but we can get books!) and buy books for Christmas about WHATEVER she likes. One of mine learned reading proficiency through the Pokedex. I would make sure her math skills are solid. If they aren't, try to find a tutoring solution that is fun and positive.

I think I'd project an attitude of positivity about scholarship and a talk about college and what it can bring for her.

I do think it is ok to make her finish her work, and maybe tie it to something she can do once she's completed everything. It is a good habit. It is ok to push a little bit. I don't know that I'd be super worried about less than perfect diligence at age 9. I think that can still come.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 4th grader is the same way. Smart, but could care less about school. He only likes school for spending time with his friends. Since we are virtual, he doesn't even get to do that. I've tried taking away stuff and rewarding him, and at the end of the day, it's not worth the battle. He is doing okay academically. When they are in school he does his school work and the homework is reasonable. Right now with distance learning he has 3 hours with is teacher and then about 2 hours of asynchronous work. At this point it is what it is in regards to getting his asynchronous work done. My older son is the complete opposite and is diligent about turning every assignment in early, and strives to get A's on everything. He is too over the top at the other extreme, which is a whole different set of issues. Ugh!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2