Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Best Preschool Snack ever!

Anyone?

I need to do Snack for J's preschool for the very first time ever and I want it to be fabulous.

I was thinking of a mock sushi with fruits, but I have never worked with sushi rice and worry that it will be a disaster. Then I was going to go for 'fondue' with different fruits on pretzel sticks with yogurt for dipping and veggies on pretzels for and hummus for dipping. (and some of those little plates with the different compartments.) But, they have to be portioned in advance and I wonder how well that would travel.

I don't mind a lot of work and we have no food allergies to worry about.

What would you make?
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmommy2b View Post

What would you make?
    Um....goldfish and bananas.

Yeah...not very elaborate, but kiddos like both and eat them well. Plus, they travel well.

While I know you don't mind a lot of work (and your ideas sound awesome) I would make sure the teacher is okay with the amount of time it could take to do an elaborate snack.
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think my "all out" snack (for a preschool party) was fruit skewers with crackers and cheese chunks/cubes!

Keep in mind how messy the snack is going to be. That always shot down a whole lot of ideas for me!

wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How about some fruit and some mini pumpkin muffins? Or maybe yogurt with fruit and granola that the kids can choose and mix in.
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmommy2b View Post
    I was thinking of a mock sushi with fruits, but I have never worked with sushi rice
    I'm sorry, but my children would rather die before they ate that. But, I am impressed by your ambition!

I'd probably go with something simple and portable like muffins. Most kids really like them and they are easy to eat.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Seriously....don't over complicate this. You want to bring something that the kids will actually eat and kids that age just don't appreciate the extra effort you are willing to put in. I'd personally take something like pretzels/goldfish and cheese cubes.

If you want something fancy, I like the yogurt and choose your own fruit/granola idea. That would be fun if the teacher were willing to take the time out to do it!
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    I'm sorry, but my children would rather die before they ate that. But, I am impressed by your ambition!

I'd probably go with something simple and portable like muffins. Most kids really like them and they are easy to eat.
    LoL.

I'll admit I have a really skewed pov, J has an adventurous palate and will eat just about anything. His latest favorite is sushi and I thought using fruit might make it exciting yet approachable.
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

happy2bamom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've done some elaborate snacks for preschool and pretty much none of the kids noticed how cute it was (cookies that looked like cheeseburgers) or how much detail went into it (cake balls, spider cupcakes). I was so proud of myself when I brought in the snacks and the kids were pretty underwhelmed by it all. (Although the teachers all thought they were cute) Kids like the easy, go-to snacks (gold fish, gogurts, string cheese, etc).
    Kelli
    Proud mama to Biggy & Redball

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post

No allergies but very few of the kids at DS's preschool would have touched anything "out of the ordinary" for them. DS is one of the worst I know (he won't eat fruit at all, for instance!) but I don't think preschool kids are very adventurous for the most part.
    Debbie

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

My most fabulous was when our snack day co-incided with 'orange day'. We brought cut cheese, Cheez Its, and orange juice. Last month, we sent in grapes and goldfish crackers.
    Kris

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast