Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thinking like a kid I say cupcakes and rice crispies.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

Something cute you could do that the kids might actually appreciate AND still eat would be to cut fruit (like melon) into shapes with cookie cutters. Flowers, dinosaurs, whatever.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

For my daughter's preschool class I made fruit happy faces. Banana slices for the eyes, melon ball for the nose, apple slices or grape halves for the smile. Although it was time consuming (but I was the parent helper of the day and set it up myself) and only a few of the kids got it. The second time I just did goldfish, cheese cubes and raisins :-)

I usually go with banana muffins, but
    a few times I tried something a little more creative.

not as elaborate, but this one snack I made was loved by teachers and students.

apple flower lollipops.

I cut the apples into slices cross section (about 3/4 inch) and then cored the center with a small flower cookie cutter. Stuck it into a popsicle stick and voila.

Depends... do you want the teachers/parents to love you or the kids?

If you are doing it for the kids- Cheetos and pixy stix. Or Rice Krispie treats.

Teachers/parents- Fruit. with a fruit dip- cream cheese and fluff.

Although my kids would not appreciate all the work that went into you sushi snack, I WOULD! To know that a mommy cares enough to NOT send in goldfish - my hat is off to you, mama

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieSmith View Post
    Although my kids would not appreciate all the work that went into you sushi snack, I WOULD! To know that a mommy cares enough to NOT send in goldfish - my hat is off to you, mama
    So the moms who send in goldfish don't care enough? Or maybe they just care too much about their own time. What about dads who send in goldfish?

I have to say, my first reaction to this thread was: why does it have to be the Best Preschool Snack Ever? And then I thought I should probably keep that to myself. But now I can't because of this post. Not trying to wrassle with anyone, just kind of annoyed!

ETA: OK, I see this is the first time you are sending in a snack. That explains some of your enthusiasm! Mine has waned considerably...
    Last edited by tiapam; 11-01-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Clarify
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

Bananas! Our pre-k had to have everything prepacked (not at home but purchased that way). Bananas qualified and were always a huge hit! Other hits have been (in K where the prepacked thing didn't come into paly) muffins, cereal treats, pudding, waffles (huge favorite!), trail mix made as a group and then doled into cups, fresh pineapple, apples with caramel, celery with cream cheese or pb, and home made apple crisp or sauce. My kids would never have touched anything that resembled sushi!
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think I'm still stuck on the fact that parents have to send in the snack. DD's preschool absolutely does not allow that. They purchase all of the snacks and any other food the kids eat there during the day (except for lunch that I have to provide for DD). It's so very strict that even for bdays NOTHING can be made at home. Absolutely everything must be store bought/nut free etc...(it's a kosher and a food allergy thing).

However, DD's snack usually consists of grape tomatoes and hummos or breadsticks and dipping sauce (usually a spagetti sauce). They have done cheese it's but only occasionally. DD has also had bananas and pretzels or cut up apples with crackers etc... No muffins, no fancy anything. DD always comes home telling me how yummy the snacks were though.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I think you should send something that all the kids will eat. The teachers won't appreciate a snack that looks great but that the kids won't eat and then be hungry.

And I agree with others that kids don't appreciate all the extra work, that's more for the adults.

I would ask your DC what they want to take to preschool for snack. Do they have a favourite food? Does the preschool have a colour for the week or a letter? Last year in pre-K we tried to match the snack with the letter of the week. I had C and made cornbread muffins and took a cranberry/apple juice.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast