Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Gary Taubes book

Based on some recommendations on here, I ordered and read Gary Taubes book last year called "Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It" http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat...1821818&sr=8-1

I read it last year, and I have read it cover to cover probably four times during the year. I also read snippets of it. But I never tried to do what he was advocating. Instead I did WW for almost a year, and was vigilent to cardio every day. I am almost 43, with one 5 year old, and WOTH.

Finally after Christmas this year, something in me clicked and I realized that I really needed to do something to get off the 20 lbs that I had gained since I got married 7 years ago. I don't think all of this was "baby weight" but moreso just weight gain that happens when life gets busy and we age, though I was really good at working out. I had read all about paleo and primal eating too, but the science in Gary Taubes book really inspired me. With WW, I kept bouncing down 4 lbs and then bouncing back up repeatedly. And working out just wasn't resulting in the weight loss that I really felt like I deserved. I knew that only losing 15 lbs is the hardest to lose, everyone says, but still... I felt like I deserved to get back to my healthier weight.

For those needing inspiration, I really really recommend Gary Taubes book. I have lost 11 lbs and have never felt more satisfied on a way of eating, ever. I eat plenty of fat and protein, but really limit carbs. My sugar cravings took TWO MONTHS to go away... honestly. But the weight keeps coming off. I have given up my "chronic cardio" hour long sessions for walks with my family at night, or enjoying a walk during lunchtime. And my body is totally different. I have no doubt that I will lose another 9 lbs by May or so. It really is amazing.

I can't get my husband to accept that calories in/calories out does not make sense... or that insulin really is the enemy here (and thus carbs that trigger insulin). I wish he would as he also needs to lose 20-30 lbs. But I am just trying to lead by example and hopefully by this summer, he will perhaps want to give it a go. But for all those frustrated here, I just want to suggest that book. I got it from Brittone's recommendation, I think, and I am so very grateful for that!!!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I checked it out of the library, but never started it. I guess I should try it again. I have had similar results with WW, but I don't think I can ever give up on WW completely because I need the points system to keep me in check, but maybe reading the book will help me realize that I should be doing more to lose this weight and if it helps me get back to my goal weight then all the better
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

GT. I haven't read WWGF but I read GCBC years ago.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Congratulations, so good to hear! My DH read the book in Jan. and we started following the principles at the beginning of Feb, I think he's lost about 10 (needs to lose about 40 or so), and I've lost maybe 6, hoping to lose another 10-15. I just started the book last week and so far I'm hooked. It really does explain so many lingering questions and frustrations I've had about losing weight.

Interesting about your sugar cravings not going away for 2 months. I had a total sugar/carb regression about 3 weeks in, where a bit of dark chocolate just wasn't cutting it any more and i worked my way through some brownies and other assorted baked goods over the course of a week (I'm not proud), and gained back some weight . I had so little willpower, it was almost like I was possessed...
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Thanks for posting this and about your experience. I got the book and just finished it. I'm inspired to try the principles, and also clean up my family's carb-heavy eating habits.

If you have any tips or findings on what good-ish carbs worked/didn't work for you, I'd love to know (sweet potato, bananas, beans?).

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by turtle12 View Post
    If you have any tips or findings on what good-ish carbs worked/didn't work for you, I'd love to know (sweet potato, bananas, beans?).
    I had tried to give up sugar/carbs in the past and those attempts never worked, I would get the achy/sluggish feeling a day into it and just couldn't sustain.

This time, I hate much more fat. Breakfast was a Fage 0% greek yougurt (so some carbs there) plus probably 2 T of Trader Joe's SunButter or Almond butter. So not carb free, but good balance with protein and good fats. Lunch is a big salad with cheese on it, meat, ususally olives, and also a serving of full fat balsamic vinagrett. That gets me through until 5 or so, and I have a cheese stick. Dinner is also meat and veggie, and for "dessert" I will have blueberries or some fruit, and ususally another spoon of peanut butter.

I am not eating any potatoes or beans. I am having a bananna every few days, really b/c I hate the sight of them going brown and wasting them more than for any other reason. But I am trying to just have 1 serving of fruit until I lose the 5 or so lbs that I still want to lose. Day to day I feel great. But I splurged and had some birthday cake for my DD's 5th birthday and felt physically rotten after that. It was really easy to get back on the bandwagon.

I think the key is having fat. Not fat as in huge gobs of cheese, but fat as in good olive or other oils, and in meat. I bet my calories are really down, though I am not tracking them.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for sharing your story! I haven't read the book, but I did switch over to the low-carb lifestyle after reading Gary Taubes NYT artice "Is Sugar Toxic." I've been pretty healthy for the past 10 years I'd say, always had home cooked meals as a child, and had stayed between 120-125lbs (I'm 5'7) even after having 2 kids.

Several months ago though I started eating whipped oatmeal every single morning for breakfast. It was sooooo good and was oatmeal made with a whole banana whipped in and then I'd sweeten it with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and add some slices of peaches and blueberries! Soon after starting my new breakfast trend, I started gaining weight. I gained 7 pounds and then realized there was a problem. This is when I read the Gary Taubes article and then paid attention to all of Brittone's posts. I switched over to low carb eating, lost the 7 pounds, and haven't looked back. It's been 7 months and the 7 pounds have stayed off and I am loving the life of lots of bacon (nitrate-free of course), cheese, meat, nuts, butter, and heavy cream! And lots of green veggies now since there's more room on my plate without the carbs.

I had a full physical 2 months ago and my cholesterol numbers were excellent (even though they weren't supposed to test them since I'm still breastfeeding which can elevate them and I didn't fast). My total cholesterol was 15 points lower than what it was 9 years ago when I was 21 years old (my last physical) and my triglycerides were 20 points lower! Even my LDL had gone down. And this was without fasting which means my numbers are probably even better! I can't wait to see what they actually are when I stop nursing and actually fast before the test.

I don't eat potatos any more, but ruttabegas are another root veggie that tastes almost identical and has about 1/2 the carbs of potatoes. They are great mashed, cooked in the crockpot with a roast, etc. And I've really liked the "cauliflower rice" that I learned about in my low carb cookbooks by Dana Carpender to use instead of regular rice. You take cauliflower, shred it (I do it with my salad shooter) then cook it in the microwave for a few minutes. After that you eat it like you would rice or add to it. She has a recipe where you take 3 cups of cauliflower rice and then cook up a 1/4 cup of wild rice (less carbs) and add it to the cauliflower rice. It really gives it a more authentic rice taste, but only adds a small amount of carbs. So good and I eat it with stir fry, stroganoff, etc. And then there's the awesome recipe with the cauliflower/wild rice mix where you add sauteed onions in butter and bacon! Soooo good (we had it last night)!

I don't eat bananas any more, but I do eat berries. I'll eat a clementine, 1/2 an apple or pear, or a handful of grapes when making the kids lunch/dinner.

I don't really eat regular beans and if I do I try to keep it to a 1/4-1/2 cup. I do add a can of organic soy beans to my chili now and they taste identical to regular beans, but only have a tiny amount of carbs. My low carb cookbook has a baked beans recipe made with soy beans that I really want to try. I only eat a little bit of soy foods though and they must be organic (soy beans and edemame basically).

I also make a low-carb cereal from the cookbook that is amazing and eat a small bowl every day with half and half! I also eat 3 pieces of bacon every morning and a string cheese (since I don't like eggs sadly). Full fat yogurt too with almonds added.

I gave up sugar and use xylitol and liquid stevia now.

I still eat some regular carbs since I'm at my goal weight, but I'll have a 1/2 piece of whole wheat toast (5.5 carbs) with garlic butter at dinner instead of a sandwich with 2 pieces of bread (22 carbs). Or I'll have a TJ's high fiber mini blueberry bran muffin (10 carbs) with butter instead of a bagel (30+ carbs). Or I'll have a TJ's Hold the Cone mini ice cream cone (9 carbs) instead of a piece of pie (30+ carbs). Or I'll have 2 pieces of thin crust (less carbs then regular crust) pizza with a salad and chicken wings instead
    of 4 pieces of pizza and 2 breadsticks! Little changes, but big differences.
    Last edited by essnce629; 03-20-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    I think the key is having fat. Not fat as in huge gobs of cheese, but fat as in good olive or other oils, and in meat. I bet my calories are really down, though I am not tracking them.
    thank you for posting your tips!

Essnce629 - Thanks for posting your tips and experience. Who knew about the cauliflower?

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I also make a low-carb cereal from the cookbook that is amazing and eat a small bowl every day with half and half! I also eat 3 pieces of bacon every morning and a string cheese (since I don't like eggs sadly). Full fat yogurt too with almonds added.
    Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I still eat some regular carbs since I'm at my goal weight, but I'll have a 1/2 piece of whole wheat toast (5.5 carbs) with garlic butter at dinner instead of a sandwich with 2 pieces of bread (22 carbs). Or I'll have a TJ's high fiber mini blueberry bran muffin (10 carbs) with butter instead of a bagel (30+ carbs). Or I'll have a TJ's Hold the Cone mini ice cream cone (9 carbs) instead of a piece of pie (30+ carbs). Or I'll have 2 pieces of thin crust (less carbs then regular crust) pizza with a salad and chicken wings instead of 4 pieces of pizza and 2 breadsticks! Little changes, but big differences.
    Can I ask how you got your carb numbers (is this based on the nutrion labels)? Do you have a sort of range you try to stay within?

Thanks again!! I feel inspired!

Rereading one of my posts and I realize that I typed that I "hate" fat and I meant to say that I "ate" MORE fat. Sorry about that!

For what its worth, I am not counting my carb grams. The book has some interesting wisdom on this, that there are some authors who say to stay below 20 and add in later, some say below 50, others say 150 is ok. I also don't test for ketosis. I figure I will get to my goal weight and then try to add more back in int he form of fruit, but probably not wheat. I feel so much better without the wheat, I frankly feel better eating a bowl of good icecream than I do having a pasta dinner. But that just may be my body. I do have plain greek yougurt which does have carbs, as does sunbutter, but neither of them have a lot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast