Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Update re: heavy periods, perimenopause

I posted last month about dealing with years of heavy periods, perimenopause symptoms etc. https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...92#post4387292

I had my sonohystergram last week and my doctor followed up with me today (via nurse message). My uterine lining is fine and of normal thickness. I do have one fibroid that could be pushing on the uterus, which the doctor said could cause heavier bleeding (pushing on uterus causes more uterine surface area, cause more surface to shed). She also said it could just simply be perimenopause. They did biopsy the endometrium (that's required in order to be considered for more invasive solutions such as ablation) and that came back fine.

So, the voicemail message I had from the nurse said the doctor is suggesting either going back on BPC or try Liletta IUD. I tried a BCP about a year and a half ago and immediately gained 10lbs and just didn't feel myself on it so I discontinued it after a few months. I had the Mirena IUD about 10yrs ago, after the birth of DD2, but had it removed after about 9 months because I was constantly spotting and I had a host of other symptoms like headaches, bloating, etc. Now, that was before I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant and I had the Mirena removed before going GF, so while the spotting likely wouldn't have gone away the other symptoms likely we not caused by the IUD (though I do wonder if the sensitivity was sparked by the IUD as I didn't have symptoms before having it placed).

So, now I have to decide...BCP or Liletta. What would you do?
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Personally I would probably try the pill first, in part because if you don't like it you just stop taking it vs. having to have something removed. And I'd talk to the doctor about previous experience on it and see if they could recommend a different pill.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Did you discuss ablation ?
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd definitely pick the IUD. I really don't like the pill and the typical side effects. Plus, I am terrible about remembering to take meds. I know that there are many versions of the pill now so I guess I shouldn't give a blanket no...but for me it is always going to be a no.
    I have had 3 IUDs now and the process was no biggie. I watched the most traumatic step by step account of someone getting an IUD on Buzzfeed and it was absolutely nothing like my experience! I had no numbing meds. Totally unnecessary. No ultrasound. Nothing really more involved than a pap. But if I didn't know any differently and just saw that Buzzfeed, I would be a "never!" on the IUD front too. Sorry, just rambling. I really like the convenience of IUDs but I can see the hesitation if there's no guarantee that it'll help.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I vote BCP. I love the mini pill. I always take it right before bed with my vitamins and since it’s only for controlling bleeding, it doesn’t matter when exactly that I take it, as long as I don’t skip a day. I take them everyday and don’t stop for a period, per my doc’s directions. I particularly love them though for regulating my moods. I don’t have any ups and down days anymore. It’s wonderful. I take Norlyda which is norethindrone.

Like pp said, if you don’t like them, you can stop easily and try something else.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Did you discuss ablation ?
    She said it was an option but wasn't keen to recommend it as a first step.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I'd definitely pick the IUD. I really don't like the pill and the typical side effects. Plus, I am terrible about remembering to take meds. I know that there are many versions of the pill now so I guess I shouldn't give a blanket no...but for me it is always going to be a no.
    I have had 3 IUDs now and the process was no biggie. I watched the most traumatic step by step account of someone getting an IUD on Buzzfeed and it was absolutely nothing like my experience! I had no numbing meds. Totally unnecessary. No ultrasound. Nothing really more involved than a pap. But if I didn't know any differently and just saw that Buzzfeed, I would be a "never!" on the IUD front too. Sorry, just rambling. I really like the convenience of IUDs but I can see the hesitation if there's no guarantee that it'll help.
    Yes, my Mirena was an easy process, just like yours.

I've had a wonderful experience with Mirena, truly. So my vote is IUD.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    She said it was an option but wasn't keen to recommend it as a first step.
    But you have had negative reactions to both methods they recommended
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    But you have had negative reactions to both methods they recommended
    This. Neither. I'd get an ablation. At most, I'd tell her I was going on BCP and let her order the rx and then tell her it wasn't working. But really I would tell her neither of those have been good options for you in the past and I want an ablation.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast