Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DC has a friend who is constantly losing her phone. It's frustrating for DC, but it happens and she understands. If it's been awhile since DC has heard from her friend, I will text the mom just to make sure all is okay. However, DC knows her friends phone gets "impounded" so it's fine!

As for the dog... We got our first pup after I had FIVE medical professionals in a week tell me that DC "needs a dog". He has been a wonderful companion for ALL of us! Just something to think about. However, he is now almost 8 so, I have forgotten some of the "puppy stuff"

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post

Not one more thing. Stay strong.
    I veto it every time.

When he said it would be, and this is a direct quote, "a family project," after answering my questions about responsibilities for feeding/walking/vet visits with "all of us" I shot back that all of us had to be on board and I'm not. (Again, and I told him, I don't think he understands how much work a dog is.)

There will always be bad days, we do not need more shiz to add to the list of things to do rather than learn to deal with it. Because we all know who that list falls to.
    Which is what I was getting at and he's got his head so far up his backside that he thinks he's being slick talking about a dog being "a family project," when all I hear is "HEY! LET'S ADD ANOTHER THING TO LIZ'S ALREADY FULL PLATE BECAUSE SHE'S OBVIOUSLY NOT GOT ENOUGH TO DEAL WITH!"

I can't.

Fo example, the fit on Tuesday ramped up because I wouldn't let DD walk down the street (5 minute walk) to hang out with S (who may not have a break at the same time because there are multiple 5th grade homerooms) and then walk back home (5 minutes) in time to log into her next class (Math) during a class break (15 minutes.)

On Wednesday, DD had ANOTHER fit all day because I told her to put her personal reading book away and copy the vocabulary notes in ELA. She proceeded to growl and scream and cry and throw things and bite me because ... I had the audacity to tell her to pay attention to her teacher. She refused to turn her camera on, participate in class, cooperate with the learning assistant, etc. (Though, in her defense, I wouldn't cooperate with someone who told me my sensory tool was making them gag, either. I coached DD through a response to her, because we do have DD's sensory chew necklace permitted in her 504.)

Today was a much better day; it was still a little rough when she started to bang her head on the credenza after she made a mistake in a math problem. I still have to call her pediatrician (and sort through the insurance coverage for a therapist, because DD asked to talk to someone in addition to the school counselor) and we should probably chat about her medication.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow, remarks about her necklace from school staff? Do not let that pass! I don't feel that kind of comment is appropriate from anyone, let alone if it is specifically mentioned in her 504! I think that warrants contacting the principal to make sure all the staff that interact with your child know what her 504 covers - since it appears they don't.

You need every tool you have, and not to make her feel bad for using the tools that work for her.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That is out of line for a school staff member to comment on her necklace even if it wasn’t in her 504. I would make sure her teachers are aware of her 504.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Wow, remarks about her necklace from school staff? Do not let that pass! I don't feel that kind of comment is appropriate from anyone, let alone if it is specifically mentioned in her 504! I think that warrants contacting the principal to make sure all the staff that interact with your child know what her 504 covers - since it appears they don't.

You need every tool you have, and not to make her feel bad for using the tools that work for her.
    I emailed it to the school counselor while we were trying to figure some other things out because I was P!SSED and also because I wasn't 100% sure of the teacher's name. I'd have emailed myself if I were sure; her official title is "Educational Assistant" but DD's articulation errors make it difficult to determine what, exactly, the woman's name is.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    That is out of line for a school staff member to comment on her necklace even if it wasn’t in her 504. I would make sure her teachers are aware of her 504.
    I agree that the "it's making me gag" was WAY out of line, and I have it in writing. I monitor her interactions with this teacher quite closely because I didn't have the chance to meet with her before school started.

Her primary classroom teachers and I met the day before school started so we could discuss her ADHD, the 504 Plan, and any accommodations that they'd need to work out to help her build the skills she needs for success.

I met last week with the Child-Study team to get new assessments for other services, because I am DONE being told "no, she's fine" because her grades are average. She is NOT fine and denying her services because she performs well academically is actually illegal.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Have you been told to work with the school councilor? That person is not in the "chain of command" for teachers, and I think this comment really needs to be addressed by a supervisor.

Also, you mentioned that you are not sure of the teacher's name? You should have contact info for ALL of the people that work with your child.

Have you been told to work with the school councilor? That person is not in the "chain of command" for teachers, and I think this comment really needs to be addressed by a supervisor.
    She's part of the 504 team at DD's school, so, yes, she's in the chain of command insofar as the 504 Plan is concerned.

Also, you mentioned that you are not sure of the teacher's name? You should have contact info for ALL of the people that work with your child.
    Yes, I agree. I will be bringing this to the attention of the 504 team and the vice principal.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Sorry to be so pushy, but I'm so mad for you, and along with you!
    Last edited by Kestrel; 10-03-2020 at 01:56 PM.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m sorry you’re having to deal with one more thing on top of everything else.

Sorry to be so pushy, but I'm so mad for you, and along with you!
    I haven't heard from the pediatrician, either.

There will be a Very Strongly-Worded Email sent to the 504 Plan team, with a reminder that DD is permitted to use her chew necklace (as needed) for focus and calm-down purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I’m sorry you’re having to deal with one more thing on top of everything else.
    It's hard enough to manage the regular stuff.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast