Thread: Roid Rage

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Roid Rage

My younger DS has severe asthma, and unfortunately he has had a flair up which means a 5 day dose of oral steroids. The steroids make him crazy! He goes from an emotional crying wreck to being the Hulk. Thankfully we are on summer vacation, so I don’t have to worry about his behavior at school, but my parents are flying out here today for a vacation, and we have a ton of things planned for the next few days. It’s going to be a long 5 days!!!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That's a bummer! For you and for him, I'm sure he doesn't want to feel yucky during his fun summer. Good luck dealing with it all!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

oh that stinks for everyone! DD used to get that way with her asthma meds. I remember one time in first grade she was trying to do homework and furious and then totally lost it and started crying. She had the self awareness to say, " I know I'm not dumb and I don't even know why I'm crying, this wouldn't even make me mad when I feel like me!!! I hate feeling so out of control!!!" Uh, I'm not in touch with my feelings, she didn't get that from me.

The other thing that we struggled with with steroids was sleep, I don't know if you are struggling with that and don't have any advice, just commiseration. That super amped up can't sleep rage spooling up when you know sleep is the best thing for them but can't get them there really adds into the lack of control. So sorry. Hang in there!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Ugh... that’s awful for everyone. Any chance you can scale back a little on plans so he gets some breaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Two days in, and we are surviving. Thankfully it hasn't affected his sleep too much this time. It probably helps that it is summer, and I haven't been overly strict with bedtime. I've been letting him run himself wild until he is ready for sleep. He crashes around 10ish, and then will sleep in until 7:30. We are trying to be a bit more flexible with our plans. Today we went up to the outlet mall for a bit, and then when we got home he said he wanted to take a nap. He never says that, and fell right to sleep. Tomorrow we already have tickets for several activities at the science center, and we can't switch that, but I think he will be okay. We had planned for Friday to be a down day, and that is supposed will be the last day of his meds.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Right there with you. DS has poison ivy everywhere and is on oral prednisone. It's brutal. Hang in there mama!

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Right there with you. DS has poison ivy everywhere and is on oral prednisone. It's brutal. Hang in there mama!
    Oh no!!!! I hope his itchiness goes away quickly!! Poor guy!!!!

Well, his cough got slightly better while on the prednisone. Went back today and now she could hear wheezing in his lungs, and he got diagnosed with walking pneumonia. So we've moved on to antibiotics and several inhaled steroids. I'm nervous about the antibiotic as we just dealt with an allergic reaction to one back in March. Fingers crossed this takes care of his issues and we can get him healthy in time for school to start in a few weeks.

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh no!

Sending healthy vibes your way.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sending positive vibes his way!