Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I will continue to stress hand washing as that's the best thing you can do to prevent any illness. I'll also keep on top of our vitamin D levels.

From my understanding, the majority of cases have been mild so even if we ended up with it the chance that it wouldn't cause major issues is high. We do have 2 boxes of N95 masks in our earthquake kit and probably enough emergency freeze dried food for 2 weeks. I could probably add more water to our emergency supply as we try to use it up when we go on road trips and then replenish. I didn't stress about ebola, SARS, bird flu, H1N1, etc and aren't stressing about Coronavirus either.

DS1's high school has 2 weeks of "Immersion" each year where small groups study a certain topic and some of the groups include travel. They have a China Immersion every year with a trip to China, but it would have been next week so it's been canceled. DS1 is still scheduled to go to Japan for 10 days in June with his Japanese school. The Olympics start just a few days after they leave so I'm assuming if the Olympics are still occurring, the trip will be as well.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I am not concerned at all.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My friend works for the CDC working on this disease and recommends stocking up on essentials (medication and some food). She isn't that worried but just advises taking those simple steps.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Are you doing anything to prepare for the Corona virus?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Oh my! My kids and DH would rather die of the corona virus (or Ebola) than eat canned food.

ETA- that sounded really snobby but feeding my family lots of fresh vegetables has turned my kids into picky eaters
    ETA Just buy a bunch of frozen veggies. they retain their nutrients better than fresh anyway unless you pick them fresh that day.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 02-25-2020 at 07:57 PM.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My friend works for the CDC working on this disease and recommends stocking up on essentials (medication and some food). She isn't that worried but just advises taking those simple steps.
    What kind of medication? I haven't even considered that. We typically don't medicate for colds. Maybe ibuprofen for a fever.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have bought some extra meds, but only of stuff we use anyway - cold meds, vitamin C & D, advil & asprin. We stock pretty heavy on pantry stuff anyway, but I have bought some things like frozen veg and frozen orange juice, that we don't usually use, just in case. We always seem to have enough tissues and toilet paper to last a year.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone say is prescription meds - we did go and get an extra month's worth to have on hand in a drawer.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    We have bought some extra meds, but only of stuff we use anyway - cold meds, vitamin C & D, advil & asprin. We stock pretty heavy on pantry stuff anyway, but I have bought some things like frozen veg and frozen orange juice, that we don't usually use, just in case. We always seem to have enough tissues and toilet paper to last a year.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone say is prescription meds - we did go and get an extra month's worth to have on hand in a drawer.
    Ugh. Reminds me I wish I could stockpile insulin!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I watched am immunologist speak today on TV and they said that for most people basic hand washing and not touching your face is the key to prevention. They actually recommended not wearing masks unless you are sick because when you wear a mask you're constantly touching your face to adjust it, which actually puts you at a higher risk of getting the virus. They also mentioned that it's mostly older people and those with things like heart disease, diabetes, etc that are the ones getting sick the worst. Obviously there are random cases of healthy, young individuals getting sick like you have with the flu or anything else, but for the most part the virus is mild.

I assume you're all stocking up on things so that you don't have to leave the house or in case of a quarantine? The thought never even occurred to me and I'm a worrier! Guess I should get a few things prepared. We're headed to Disney for Spring Break and that does freak me out a bit since it's a cest pool of germs anyway, but we constantly clean hands because DS has a severe contact reactive food allergy so we tend to have cleaner hands than most.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I assume you're all stocking up on things so that you don't have to leave the house or in case of a quarantine?.
    YES! And I’m guessing people will start buying stuff soon. I’m assuming we will have water and electricity, so I’m not stocking up on water or flashlights or batteries. It seems like other places have shut down schools and community events. If schools are shut down, then I’d be worried about going to the store.

I was one of those healthy young people who ended up hospitalized for 5 days with H1N1. (It was never confirmed since I refused the test, but I had pneumonia, spent 1 night in the ICU, 3 nights on a telemetry floor, and couldn’t see my kids for 5 days. November 2009...peak of H1N1. I did have the vaccine three weeks before I got sick.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

No I haven't done any preparations. Trying to stress the same habits as a regular cold and flu season - hand washing, avoiding face touching, eat healthy and get sleep. I'm still more concerned about the regular ole flu. I work at a tertiary care center in the unit that would care for patients with the novel corona virus. I've done the training for it. Cautiously careful but no more than I am normally.

That said, we had 2 trips to Italy planned for April. They have the highest rate outside of Asia. DS2 and DH's trip with his soccer team has been canceled. I'm waiting to get the call about my trip with DS1. It's with a school group and I'm not running the show but I don't think I want to travel there none-the-less right now.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast