Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What do I need to know about hiking?

I'd like to start hiking local trails. Nothing too crazy. I know I'll need to dress properly and have good shoes/sneakers (whatever that means). I know I'll need to carry water. Probably tick spray.

That's all I got, lol.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Depending on where you live and where you will be walking, see if you need to wear orange while hiking certain times of year. Here you do on a lot of the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree that there are regional considerations. I never use bug spray or wear orange but sunscreen and water are absolute musts.

I have hiking boots but I actually prefer hiking in my nikes unless the trail will be quite rocky and steep. I just like keeping my feet nimble. I think I would buy a pair of trail runners if I were to do it over again.

I like having a pack to house my water and supplies. I use a lightweight backpack for day hikes. We have one we got at Costco from High Sierra. It holds a water bladder, that I don't use. I like having a phone, bandaids and snacks. Like in my stroller days, I tend to be an over packer but you just never know what you'll need when you are on the trail!

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like having a backpack for hiking. Always check the trails so you know what you are getting into. I have some I'm fine alone on and others where I want my dog. Know local wildlife and how to deal (I'm thinking of that recent viral video with the cougar...but around here I make sure to watch for snakes on my path since I know someone who almost ran over a copperhead...). I hike more in fall/winter because I like exercising in the cold so I don't need bug spray, but I absolutely would in the summer here. I like having dedicated hiking shoes with better grip.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is all good advice. I would also recommend getting the app all trails - it's a great way to find trails that are your level, and to be able to track where you are. You can all keep track and show off later where you went! It's a very user friendly app.

Start off with something pretty easy. I agree - sneakers or trail runners are good for smaller hikes. If you want to climb mountains or have heavy pack, then hiking boots are good. But doesn't sound like you need that yet. Water, snacks (always great to treat yourself when you get to your destination, or anytime!), bandaids, sunglasses or a hat. Phone charged so you can follow the map. Binocs if you want to look for birds. Bring some layers with you if you live in a cooler climate. Take your time and just enjoy being outside away from the cars and messages and news cycle! You can go for 30 minutes, an hour, or 3. Just know where you're going and an estimate of how long it'll take. And enjoy!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've done some long endurance hikes with crazy steep hills and elevation changes. For those I need the following:
    -a Camelback for water and supplies (bandaids, moleskin, snacks)
    -workout leggings or capris (I prefer them to hiking pants)
    -I can't do wool at all but I have some good wicking socks (my hikes involve some water crossings at times)
    -trekking poles- I just really need them for down hills especially
    -trail runners (hiking boots were overkill for what I was doing and just gave me problems)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I second trekking poles! We originally got a set for my DD who has some mobility issues, and after borrowing hers, they make a big difference in helping with balance and fatigue when you're hiking on steeper, or rocky trails. They're fun for creek crossings too, to get from rock to rock without slipping. DD was able to hike for longer/farther with the poles than she would without them.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Research the animals that live in the area you will be hiking and how to protect yourself from them. Someone near me had a scary experience with a momma cougar a few weeks ago and luckily he is alive. Search for 'kyle burgess mountain lion' on YouTube if you want to see the angry momma.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A whistle! You can hear a whistle for a longer distance than you can yell. Always let someone know where you're going and when you expect to be back - and then let that person know that you got back ok.

My brother does a lot - and i mean a LOT - of difficult solo hiking. He was told by the rangers to always leave a note in his vehicle of his emergency contact, his route, when he's leaving and when he expects to be back. Leave it on the driver's seat, with a piece of clothing that was worn that day (in case they need tracker dogs).

Google "Hiking 10 essentials"
    1. Whistle
    2. Water (liter per hour ish)
    3. Extra food
    4. Head lamp
    5. compass/maps--depends on the trail
    6. First aid kit
    7. Rain gear--jacket and pants
    8. Pocket knife
    9.Water purification tablets (if you ever run out of water, you need these)
    the other stuff might be overkill for short trails. But for me--anytime I am hiking in the mountains here, I have those 10 essentials plus an "emergency/space blanket". We have so many people who go out for short hikes and get lost and are TOTALLY unprepared. They get rescued but it sucks to be stuck on the mountain over night!!

Start with trail running shoes and you can move up to hiking shoes if you need to. You don't need boots until you carry a backpack or do high altitude scrambling. I use trekking poles for backpacking but not for hiking. I use an Osprey daypack because it is roomy and has a spot for a water bladder. You will drink more water if you carry a bladder. Any clothes will do. Clothing that wicks is best. And if you have issues with ticks where you are going, then you want long pants and shirts. Check out the REI Sahara shorts. (I think you have EMS out there too)

Do NOT count on your cell phone having a signal!!! Tell people your plans so they know where you are. If you are really into some more remote terrain, then look into getting a Spot It or other locator. Way better than waiting for dogs to find you:-) And that cougar video-if the guy had not been filming her cubs, that whole thing would have been a LOT less intense. She just wanted him out of there. If she wanted him dead, he would be. But you are in New York--so you need to know bears and snakes. And ticks and mosquitos. Do you have moose? They can be really scary--we have lots of them in the mountains here. I hiked/backpacked alot in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Virginia and saw black bears who I just managed to stay far away from/skirt around.

Go to your local outdoor store to find out if they have info nights for "Beginning Hiking". Find a guidebook on local trails. I have a guide book to all the trails in the mountains near me. It is my best friend! That way you can research trails and find out what you would like to hike. All Trails is nice but I like a guide book. Check out local hiking groups. We have several. There is a Facebook Group called "Women Who Hike" and you can join your local chapter. I am not doing any group hikes now, but it is nice to know that people are out there and I can ask questions.

And HAVE FUN!! there is nothing I love more than being out on a trail--even if it is just the trails in the foothills near my house. I just love it!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast