Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Considering Minecraft

The Biscuit is 8 (!) and after playing Roblox for a number of months and watching videos on YouTube Kids, has asked to try Minecraft on DH's iPad.

Setting aside issues about when he would be allowed to play, what do we need to know about Minecraft? I found O Mom's very helpful post, but it is a few years old.

Is eight an appropriate age for a player? Only in certain "modes"? Can a game be "saved" while it is going on (one of my Roblox pet peeves is that The Biscuit always wants to finish a current game, which often is five or more minutes out . . . and always when we need to run out somewhere).
    Other things we need to know about or precautions we need to take?

TIA!!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Minecraft is great. No reason you have to allow the ability to interact with others to enjoy the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My 8 yr old plays minecraft. It's only on my laptop which is often put away so he doesn't play often just because he doesn't think about it unless the laptop is out. I only let him play in creative mode unless DH is there with him, then they can play survival mode together and invite others they know. I think it's a good game, he has fun building elaborate structures mostly.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Minecraft is great. No reason you have to allow the ability to interact with others to enjoy the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I agree, I like it much better than Roblox and feel like there is an opportunity to learn more computer stuff (coding and such).
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My 10yr DD plays it on her ipod. She seems to just build buildings and her town and occasionally kill a farm animal with a sword?? I don't get it honestly. She seems to enjoy it just for the building of stuff. She does coding in her 4th grade class.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My 11 yr old plays it a lot they have a mine craft club at school < 6 weeks one hour per week>
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

We let DD play Minecraft; she has it on her tablet and on her Switch. I prefer it on the Switch. She does not play multiplayer/online modes in either one and mostly stays in Creative Mode to mess with things.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I let my almost 8 year old play Minecraft but he's not allowed to play with anyone online. FWIW, I don't let him play Roblox.

I far prefer my 8.5 and 6 year olds to play Minecraft over robolox. So they play most with Minecraft and other games with their switch. Oldest is getting more into fortnite though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Minecraft >>>>> Roblox

DH set up accounts for our kids using very limited identifying information, did not allow them to choose usernames that had their real names or other identifying info, etc. They are not allowed to chat with strangers (you can turn that off, I believe). We do let them chat with known friends but we vet each one individually. DH also set up a server so they can build there. There are one or two good science/coding based youtubers that we are let the kids watch...it's actually kind of cool how much they've learned about mods and command lines from watching.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast