Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default School fundraisers

Boo. I hate them. I get that the school has to come up with creative ways to get donations. But a "fun run" where the child has to run at least 26 laps (1/16 mile laps...yeah no big deal to some kids but for Kindergartners???) in order to get the prize correlated to donated pledge levels? Dumb.

There's no way my kids will run anywhere close to 26 given their physical limitations. They might run 10 at best. They're going to be bummed to not get any prizes after running as best as they can for half an hour and it's just not going to be fun for them to run. And yes, parents are invited to "cheer on" their children. Another bummer because can I go? OF COURSE NOT! I work.

All we could do is tell them when they get tired or start hurting, to just walk. We'll provide the "prize" for them trying their best. Sigh.

I'm also tired of all the emails left and right with all these complicated ways to donate money. We gave a flat simple donation at the beginning of the year, so our "duty" is done, but it seriously takes me some time to weed through emails and figure out which ones are actually important and relevant to our children and their school days.

Whine, whine...I know this is typical public school stuff (and maybe even more so for a school in a good district where we pay high taxes and therefore isn't funded as well by the state). But it's still annoying.

Ugh! That is so annoying. I don't blame you for being frustrated.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know the is the BP, so feel free to ignore......

When my school has the kinders do the jog a thon, the kids start out running, but most run all out for a lap or two and then walk, skip, dawdle, etc. when they are told they only have a few minutes left, then they tend to run the last lap. My school has done this for years, and I've never seen any kinders run the entire time. Most are just excited to be out there. Also we don't get many parents at ours. Too many work during the day to attend. My school doesn't really give much out in the way of prizes, but I bring Popsicles for my class to have afterwards as a reward for doing their best. I always stress to them they are going out to have fun and get some exercise, not about winning.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post

When my school has the kinders do the jog a thon, the kids start out running, but most run all out for a lap or two and then walk, skip, dawdle, etc. when they are told they only have a few minutes left, then they tend to run the last lap. My school has done this for years, and I've never seen any kinders run the entire time. Most are just excited to be out there. Also we don't get many parents at ours. Too many work during the day to attend. My school doesn't really give much out in the way of prizes, but I bring Popsicles for my class to have afterwards as a reward for doing their best. I always stress to them they are going out to have fun and get some exercise, not about winning.
    Oh, this totally makes me feel better!! Thanks!!

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post

I totally agree!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

again....BP, so feel free to ignore... can you join the fundraising group and suggest that they do one big "write a check" campaign? We do, and it makes for a really stress-free PTA experience.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

On a side note, I always tell my kids not to expect any of the prizes. I tell my kids that I will
    donate a set amount and it may/may not earn you a prize.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Also noting its BP but our school doesn't give prizes for stuff unless it's a free experience for the whole class (ex. see a movie). Sounds to me like it'd be counterproductive to have the expense of prizes and offset income. I'd be comfortable raising that point with someone. Walks/ runs are an easy way to make 100% profit. I'd much rather they kept more of the $ for the cause.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have to ask, is this Booster-thon? I HATE them with the heat of a 1000 fiery suns.

They are so awful with the prizes, and the in-class booster sessions, AND they take a HUGE percentage of the money. If it's them, I wouldn't give a dime and would even consider pulling my kids from school on that day. Our school used them one year and there was such a hue and cry from the parents about the lost class time, kids upset kids about the prizes and being made to feel like they did not have enough pledges, and then on top they took such a large cut, we barely made any money. They next year they did one themselves. It was still a pain, but much better.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    On a side note, I always tell my kids not to expect any of the prizes. I tell my kids that I will
    donate a set amount and it may/may not earn you a prize.
    This was our expectation growing up and how I'm trying to set expectations for the kids.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast