Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default stroller & car seat for air travel

Cross posted in car seats

I'm going to be traveling alone with DS this summer. He's 15 months and 18 pounds - I'm 5' - under 100 pounds. I'm looking for recommendations for a car seat for the plane. We use a Blvd here and will be borrowing a Marathon at our destination. I'm looking for something light and easy to install.

I'm also in the market for an umbrella stroller and would like to buy one that would be good for my trip. I have a Bob for walking/running and want a light stroller to keep in the car for mall shopping. I plan to wear DS through the airport just taking the stroller to carry our bags and the car seat as well as for use at our destination. Was thinking of getting a Mac Quest or Baby Jogger Mini - is there a big difference in weight between these two?

Sorry this is so jumbled - TIA
    Last edited by jgenie; 05-06-2009 at 09:07 AM.

The quest is 12 lbs, but does not have a carseat attachment.

The bjcm is 16.8 pounds, and has a carseat attachment. (Takes several models)

MCsMom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Have you looked at the CARES harness? It will save you from having to bring a carseat. There is a weight limit however. I think it's something like 20 lbs or something.

Hope that helps!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lava5000 View Post
    The quest is 12 lbs, but does not have a carseat attachment.

The bjcm is 16.8 pounds, and has a carseat attachment. (Takes several models)
    I like the idea of the bjcm, especially since it's close in price to the Quest. I'm petite and wondering if the almost 5 pound difference is a deal breaker. I'm hoping to see them in store this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MCsMom View Post
    Have you looked at the CARES harness? It will save you from having to bring a carseat. There is a weight limit however. I think it's something like 20 lbs or something.

Hope that helps!
    I love the look of the CARES harness, but the website says it's for 22 pounds and up. DS is 17.5 pounds soaking wet and slow to gain weight. I'll keep it bookmarked for the future.

I LOVED the bjcm in person. (Just got to see it yesterday) However, I did not like the weight of it combined with how you carry it. I am almost 95% positive I am going to go with the Si now.

MCsMom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Just because you mentioned the Quest in your OP, Albeebaby.com has 2008 Quests on sale for $169 and free shipping.

We have a BJCM which I love with a passion but bought the Quest since it was a really good deal. I love it now as well but for totally different reasons.

We are traveling overseas in November and I think we will do well with either one...
    Last edited by MCsMom; 05-07-2009 at 01:10 AM.

mrsjde is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Is just travelling with him on your lap out of the question?

We travel a fair amount on planes and have had a decent amount of luck with it ( longest trip to date is six hours). My DS usually just falls asleep or we read or watch movies on the laptop. BTW- we use a Triumph for air travel and love it. If flights are not full, we are usually allowed to stowe above in the overhead cargo.

It would save the cost of a ticket too ( depending on the desinitation, some airlines do require a fee that is a %age of a cost of a full flight fare though).

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have the Quest and love it, particularly for travel. We have taken it on so many trips and it has never sustained any damage. Personally I like the umbrella fold on the Quest better than the BJCM for travel. It's more compact and an easier shape to carry IMO.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

On flights, we've used the Ergo several times very successfully.

I used to use a Sit n Stroll in the airports, train stations, etc. Then I baggage checked a "regular" stroller, for use at my destination. It also worked nicely as a "spare" carseat, when we weren't traveling. Here's a link, but you can probably find a better deal: http://www.elitecarseats.com/TripleP...t-n-Stroll.pro
    Strollerqueen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast