sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default CA BBBers--AB 104 (Grade Changes to P/NP)

Any CA parents considering invoking the new AB 104 and requesting to change a letter grade to a P (or NP)? DS got a C in Spanish 3 last semester, and I'm thinking it makes sense to change it to a P. It's technically not a required course, and a world language is definitely the type of subject that suffers with non-daily online instruction. So I think he could justify the change in order to boost his GPA a bit. I can't think of any downside, but maybe I'm missing something?

He likely won't go to a 4-year school right away anyway, but just in case I want him to keep his options fully open. The CSU system has agreed to accept the alternate P grades, as have most of the UCs.

Any thoughts?
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I've been considering this option for my soon to be junior. But my hesitation is with whether or not the UCs will accept the class - this is for a sophomore year English class. She had a 97% at the end of the 3rd Q, and then got a C- for her final semester grade! Suffice to say, a lot going on there - but the instruction was horrible, as well my DDs time management. She brought up all her other grades, so this one in an outlier. I just don't know how it will be viewed.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I saw this. I don't think we'll take advantage. DS1's grades were not perfect but I think a "pass" might look worse? Of course, DS1 isn't planning on applying to any of the schools that accept the new system anyway so it wouldn't really help him in any case. With the dropping of standardized tests, the quarter/semester of no fail grades from 2020 and then pass/fail grades for 2020-2021, I wonder how students are going to be evaluated from the state schools...?

I was actually wondering what teachers think of this option! I plan on asking my sister. She teaches in a different state and a very different population (all ESOL students).

ETA: I don't know anything! I just am having a hard time thinking this doesn't somehow look like there's something to hide. I do like the idea that there is an option that kids who were very negatively affected in the pandemic will have an option for a little grace? Would love other thoughts...
    Last edited by bisous; 08-03-2021 at 04:36 PM.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If, for the same term, all the other academic grades are regular letter grades, a P in an academic class may look suspicious. However, if Terms 1 & 2 were graded P/F for Spanish, I would consider it for Term 3. Otherwise, think it through. The important part is actually the final grade for the class, not necessarily the individual term grades. Also, colleges calculate their own GPA's for each student so they are comparing with the same criteria. How they will handle the Pass/Fail will be interesting, but I wouldn't worry too much about one outlier for one term.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ALL courses were graded P/NP for semester 2 (spring) 2020, district wide. But fall semester used regular grades. He’s always hated Spanish, but he definitely did struggle more with a class that met online only twice a week. And the whole purpose of the bill (allegedly) is to avoid penalizing students for struggling with the “pandemic schedule.”

I’m waiting to hear from his counselor and IEP team. Thank you all for the feedback!
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

I was considering this for my son too, but the message from my district is that you can only request if the student got a D or below in the class. Has anyone heard any other districts set this requirement?

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default CA BBBers--AB 104 (Grade Changes to P/NP)

I was told a Pass equals a C. So it only helps students that got D or lower. It’s so they can continue with their year level and not redo multiple classes. It’s not to increase grade point average for students that passed.

DS got a D in math and did summer school credit recovery. He got an A in summer school, that will replace his D, so it can be better for a student to redo the class and replace the grade than to take the passing grade.

Many students struggled during zoom school, and I hope colleges will take that into account when they look at grades for that year

OP, isn’t Spanish is Language to meet the A-G requirements? DS hates Spanish too and has one more year to get the 2 year minimum. I know 3 year is recommended, but that’s pushing it here so DS will only have 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 08-03-2021 at 11:48 PM.